Last night we had a repeat of a dinner that I came up with several months ago. After the summer had ended last year, we had a pretty good amount of bottled barbecue sauce in our pantry. You know how it goes on sale a lot during the summer? Well, we went a bit overboard.
I started brainstorming for meal ideas that we could use all this barbecue sauce in – and that’s when BBQ Chicken Quesadillas were created. While we eat them for dinner, they are great for lunch too. They would also be the perfect quesadilla for watching the game or for an informal party.
This is a super easy meal idea and pretty much a non-recipe. I’ll give you the details on how to created these quesadillas, but you can easily alter the ingredients to suit your family. You can use any kind of barbecue sauce – bottled or homemade and just about any kind of cheese.
BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
Recipe by HomemadeLiving.net
Cooked, Shredded Chicken (we used chicken breast)
Thinly Sliced Onions
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (or your favorite)
Cooking Spray (or if you prefer, you could use butter)
1. Lay a tortilla on a hot, lightly greased griddle or frying pan. Sprinkle a bit of cheese on one half of the tortilla (our tortillas were a small burrito or large soft taco size, so I used about 1/8 cup of cheese at this point)
2. Place some of the shredded chicken on top of the cheese (I used about 1/2 – 1/3 cup per quesadilla) and then some onions on top of that. Add a some barbecue sauce. We use a bottle variety and I just pour directly from the bottle.
3. Top with a bit more shredded cheese (another 1/8 cup or so).
4. Carefully fold the tortilla side/half that wasn’t layered with ingredients over the part that is (I use a fork or spatula to help lift the empty tortilla side off the hot griddle). Allow it to brown and the cheese to melt and then carefully flip it over and allow the other side of the tortilla to brown and let the cheese melt completely.
5. Remove from the heat, cut in half or into wedges and serve. I continue this process for each quesadilla. Serve with extra barbecue sauce, salsa or sour cream.
NOTE: If you prefer, this can also be easily made in a microwave.