This cheese bread is easy to make and only takes 3 ingredients. Great to have along with spaghetti or other pasta dinners.
When you start living with the love of your life, you usually start combining bits of “your way” with “his way”. When I started dating my husband, he introduced me to his version of cheese bread. Growing up, when they had spaghetti, lasagna, or other pasta dinners, this was the bread they would enjoy on the side. While he had no problem eating the bread I grew up with, he felt his version was better safer and wouldn’t burn down the house (my bread was baked in a paper bag in the oven, but we’ll save those details for another time).While “my way” made a very tasty bread to go along with the spaghetti, “his way” was…well, pretty great too. It’s very simple and inexpensive. You can use any loaf, I’ve often used the inexpensive $1 – $1.50 French breads that grocery stores sell. But, truth be told, we’ve even made this bread on leftover hamburger or hot dog buns – not fancy, but it works!
- 1 loaf French Bread
- Butter or Margarine, softened
- Shredded or Grated Parmesan Cheese or Mozzarella Cheese
- Optional: minced garlic, garlic powder, Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. If using garlic or Italian seasoning, place your butter or margarine in a bowl and mix in as much as desired, to suit your taste.
- Cut the loaf in half lengthwise.
- Spread the tops of each side with softened butter or margarine. Sprinkle the butter/margarine with Parmesan cheese.
- Place bread halves on a baking sheet and place in oven. Bake until butter is melted and lightly browned, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool just slightly and cut into slices.