This easy Twice-Baked Spaghetti Squash recipe is a simple dinner idea that only needs 3-ingredients, is meatless, gluten-free, and frugal.
I love spaghetti squash. I am so happy when fall and winter rolls around and I can buy it for super cheap. Usually .78 cents a pound or less. And I love how well it keeps. It’s not a vegetable that will go to go bad in a week. If kept in a cool place, they can keep for quite a while, I’ve even stored them for a long as a month.
But, one of the best things about spaghetti squash: it’s fairly low in carbs. Much lower than its other winter squash buddies, like butternut squash. And definitely lower than pasta, which makes spaghetti squash a low carb substitute for pasta.
My Bacon-Parmesan Spaghetti Squash is one of our most popular dishes (in our house and here on the blog). It’s almost always served as a side dish, along with a chicken dish or perhaps pork. But there is lots of other ways to use spaghetti squash, including plenty of Easy Spaghetti Squash Recipes for Dinner.
Today we’re sharing a very simple way to serve spaghetti squash for dinner: 3-Ingredient Twice-Baked Spaghetti Squash Recipe.
To make this recipe, you’ll start by first cutting your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out all of the seeds and discard them. Place them on a baking sheet and bake to cook the spaghetti squash.
While the spaghetti squash is still warm, but cooled enough to be handled, use a fork and scrape the spaghetti squash strands to loosen and separate them. Place the strands into a bowl and combine them with your favorite pasta sauce. If you wish, you can add additional seasonings, like salt, pepper, and oregano.
The spaghetti squash mixture is spooned back into the spaghetti squash “shell” and sprinkled with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted, bubbly and starting to brown.
We recommend serving right out of the shell. If you cooked smaller spaghetti squashes, you could plan 1/2 of a spaghetti squash for each person. Otherwise, a medium sized spaghetti squash will serve about 2 people.
3-Ingredient Twice-Baked Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Here’s the full recipe for this Easy Twice-Baked Spaghetti Squash Recipe – ready for you to print. If you like this recipe, we’d love your support by sharing it on Facebook or pinning it on Pinterest.
- 1 Spaghetti Squash (medium size)
- ½ - 1 cup pasta sauce (adjust according to preference)
- ½ - 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (adjust according to preference)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Optional: fresh garlic, fresh chopped basil leaves, dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with olive oil or cooking spray.
- With a sharp knife, carefully cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. With a spoon, gently remove seeds and discard. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until a fork can pierce the shell easily.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. With a fork, loosen and separate spaghetti squash strands from shell. Reserve shells.
- Place strands in a bowl. Mix strands with pasta sauce (and additional spices, if you wish). Adjust the amount of sauce you use based on your own preference. Spoon mixture back into the empty shell. If you have enough strands, you may be able to separate the mixture into each of the two shells, but you may also be able to spoon the entire mixture into just one of the shell halves. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until cheese is melted, bubbly, and slightly browned. Spoon and serve directly from shell.
--Want to add meat to this dinner idea? You can add leftover or rotisserie chicken or cooked sausage when you add the pasta sauce.