These Sweet and Crunchy Chicken Tenders are ridiculously easy, plus you’ll only need 3 ingredients for this kid-friendly dinner idea.
In my teen years, my mom started making what we called “Chex Chicken”, which was a chicken breast dipped in sweetened condensed milk and coated with crushed corn Chex cereal. I loved this dinner, as did all of us kids.
Sweet and Crunchy Chicken Tenders is pretty much the same idea as our old “Chex Chicken”, but I cut the chicken breasts into chicken tenders. I usually use corn Chex cereal for these chicken tenders, but you are welcome to use a store brand if you prefer. The cereal is crushed up anyway that works best for you. I crush my cereal in the food processor.
Sometimes there is some confusion over sweetened condensed milk vs evaporated milk. Be sure when you make this recipe, you are using sweetened condensed milk like in my photo below.
The crushed cereal is placed in a shallow bowl and so is the sweetened condensed milk. Each chicken tender is dipped in the sweetened condensed milk first and the excess is allowed to fall off. Then, the chicken is coated with the crushed cereal and placed on a baking sheet to bake in the oven. It’s very simple and kids love it! You can dip in anything you like — my kids go for things like ketchup, barbecue sauce, and honey mustard. Even though I am not much of a ranch lover, I like them with my Chipotle Ranch Dip.
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 6 cups Corn Chex® cereal, crushed (approximate)
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the crushed cereal in a shallow bowl. Pour sweetened condensed milk in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken tenders into the sweetened condensed milk, allow excess to drip off, and then dip and coat with crushed cereal.
- Place each chicken tender on baking sheet. Bake in oven for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown and no longer pink inside.
--Discard any crushed cereal or sweetened condensed milk that might have been leftover in your dipping dishes.