This Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad recipe features three things that go together deliciously — potatoes, cheese, and bacon! This potato salad is a favorite in our house and served at many of our barbecues and summer parties.
- 5 pounds russet potatoes
- 12 eggs (hard-boiled)
- 16 ounces bacon
- 1 pound cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 cups mayonnaise (more or less, depending on your preference)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Optional garnish: sliced green onions (crumbled bacon)
- Scrub potatoes well and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil on the stove. Reduce to heat to a medium and continue to cook for approximately 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes immediately and remove from pot. Allow the potatoes to cool completely.
- While potatoes are cooling, peel the hard-boiled eggs and allow them to cool (if not cooled yet). When the eggs are cooled, chop them. Cook bacon according to package directions and when cooled, chop, or crumbled the bacon.
- When potatoes are cool, gently peel potato skins from the potatoes with your fingers (or gently with a potato peeler if you prefer). Dice potatoes so they are in chunks and pieces are somewhat uniform in size. Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl, add cooled bacon, eggs, and mayonnaise. Combine gently. Add shredded cheese last to potato mixture and combine. Season, as desired, with salt and pepper.
- Garnish, if desired, with sliced green onions or additional crumbled bacon.
–We recommend using regular mayonnaise, NOT light or fat-free.
–For a bit of zippy flavor, sometimes I like to slowly drizzle and mix 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar into the potatoes/bacon/cheese mixture before adding the mayonnaise. This can also help to use less mayonnaise if you wish to reduce calories/fat content.
–This is a versatile recipe: if you wish to use more of the ingredients listed, go for it!
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: loaded potato salad, potato salad with bacon and cheese, summer salad, potluck salad