This Candy Cane Cookies recipe is a family-favorite cookie that creates sweet holiday memories. Always a favorite at Christmas parties and cookie exchanges.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Red food coloring gel
- 2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candies
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, both sugars, both extracts, and egg on low, just until combined. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Divide dough in half, making sure you have 2 equal portions. Add red food coloring gel to half of the dough until the desired color is reached. Wrap each portion of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerated for 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine peppermint candy and 2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make a candy cane cookie, take 1 level teaspoon of each dough. Roll each teaspoon into a 5″ rope (use a ruler, if necessary). Place one red and one white rope next to each other and begin twisting the two colors together, while pressing ends together so that they won’t unravel.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet, curving the top to one side to form the look of a candy cane. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately sprinkle cookies with the sugar/peppermint mixture. Movie cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling.
This recipe adapted from the Betty Crocker Original Candy Cane Cookie recipe
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: peppermint, 10 ingredients, classic christmas cookie, cookie exchange,