When cherries are in season, it’s time to make our Cast Iron Skillet Bing Cherry Crumble recipe! It’s an easy dessert made with sweet bing cherries and a perfect oat streusel topping. Excellent topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
1 cup rolled oats, old-fashioned
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided (plus 1 tablespoon)
1/4 cup brown sugar – packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter (1/2 cup) – cold and cubed
5 cups bing cherries, pitted with stems removed
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 8-10 inch skillet and set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, add the oatmeal, flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir well to incorporate.
3. Add the cold and cubed butter to the oatmeal mixture. Using your hands, mix well until the topping resembles a crumbly mixture with small clumps through out. Place in refrigerator and chill for 20 minutes.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the pitted cherries and 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Toss lightly to coat.
5. In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch and stir until thickened. Pour on top of the sugared cherries and stir gently.
6. Spoon the cherry mixture into the bottom of the greased skillet and spread out evenly.
7. Sprinkle the chilled oatmeal topping on top of the cherries, covering entirely. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar on top of the crumbles.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crumbles are golden brown and the cherries are hot and bubbly.
9. Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
10. Best served warm with ice cream or a dollop of whipped topping. ENJOY!
Keywords: Bing Cherries, cast iron, one pan,