Skip the canned enchilada sauce — this easy homemade enchilada sauce recipe won’t take you long to make and it’s full of amazing flavor!
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons crushed Mexican oregano
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup purpose flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 32 ounces chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water (more or less)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes. Mix flour into seasonings.
- In in a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Whisk the flour/seasoning mixture into the hot olive oil. Continue cooking the mixture, whisking constantly for about 1-2 minutes. Slowly add the broth to the mixture, whisking to combine both the cooked flour mixture and the both. Whisk in the tomato paste and continue stirring and whisking until the tomato paste is completely blended into the liquid.
- Continue cooking and stirring frequently. Mixture will thicken, so if necessary, you can add water to thin it out. I usually use about 1/2 cup of water. Add lime juice and salt. Use as desired in your favorite enchilada recipe.
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: cinco de mayo, 8 ingredients, sauce for enchiladas, red sauce, cumin, tomato paste,