This Easy Shrimp Cocktail Appetizer Recipe is not only simple to make, but it’s also low in fat and calories. It’s elegant enough for more formal gatherings, but also a favorite at casual parties or for game day.
- 12 small shooter-style glasses
- 12 jumbo uncooked shrimp
- 1 in lemon (cut quarters)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cocktail sauce
- 4 slices of lemon – cut in quarters
- If using frozen shrimp, first thaw shrimp by placing shrimp in a strainer and running under cold water. Peel shells from shrimp, leaving tail intact and devein shrimp. Rinse.
- Fill a large pot with about 2 quarts of water. Add lemon quarters, bay leaf, and salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink and opaque in color and slightly firmed (about 2 minutes). Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove from heat immediately and run cooked shrimp under cold water until cooled. Cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble your shrimp cocktails (cooking the shrimp can be done up to a day ahead).
- Fill each glass halfway with cocktail sauce. Place one shrimp in each glass with the tail hanging out over edge of glass. Place a quarter of a lemon slice on the rim of each glass, for garnish. Serve immediately.
If you prefer to use pre-cooked shrimp, skip the cooking process. After peeling and deveining, rinse shrimp and place in a bowl. Squeeze 1/2 of a lemon over shrimp and toss to coat. Assemble shrimp cocktails in the same manner.
- Category: Appertizer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy recipe, lemon, cocktail sauce, game day,