For day #2 of Christmas Week, I’m sharing Hot Chocolate Biscotti Recipe — my version of the Italian cookie that is baked twice — that includes actual hot chocolate mix in the batter and plenty of mini marshmallows.
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup dry hot chocolate mix (not sugar-free)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips (may need less)
- Marshmallow Bits
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour, hot chocolate mix, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In medium sized bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract for 1 minute on medium. Reduce mixer to low and gradually add flour mixture to the butter mixture, continuing to mix until all of the flour mixture has been added to the butter and is well blended.
- On a floured cutting board, divide dough in half. Shape each dough half into a long roll, approximately 14″ long. Carefully place rolls on prepared baking sheet, about 3″ apart from each other. With your hand, press down each roll so that they are approximately 1/2″ high.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully move biscotti to cooling racks. Set aside baking sheet, as it will be reused. When biscotti had cooled enough to handle, but is still warm, carefully move them to a cutting board and cut crosswise slices (approximately 1/2″ in size).
- Place slices, cut side down, back on original baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn slices over and return to oven to bake for another 10 minutes or until somewhat firm. Transfer to wire racks to completely cool.
- Cover a completely cool baking sheet with wax paper.
- Place 1/2 of the chocolate chips in small bowl or large coffee cup. Heat for 20 seconds to melt chips. Stir, and if necessary, continue microwave at 5-10 second intervals to completely melt chocolate. Dip 1/2 of a biscotti slice in the chocolate, using a spoon to help you cover. Allow excess to drip off and if necessary, gently slide biscotti along edge or rim or the bowl or cup to remove excess chocolate. Dip 1 side of the chocolate into marshmallow bits and lay dipped biscotti onto prepared pan with wax paper. Repeat with remaining biscotti.
- Place in refrigerator until chocolate has set. Remove from refrigerator and enjoy!
–You may not need 12 ounces of chocolate for your biscotti, but I think it’s best to have a whole bag on hand in case you do need it.
–If you don’t have access to marshmallow bits, mini marshmallows may be able to be used, however they will result in a slightly different look due to their larger size.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: 9 ingredients, cookie, dark chocolate chips, hot chocolate mix, mini marshmallows, christmas, holiday recipe,