- 1 pound dry large lima beans
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 carrots (chopped)
- 2 leeks (white bulb only, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 8 cups chicken broth (two 32 ounce cartons)
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add lima beans and boil for 5 – 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cover. Let beans soak for 2 – 2.5 hours. Drain and rinse beans; return to pot.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and saute all the vegetables until carrots and celery are tender-crisp.
- Add 8 cups of chicken broth to the beans in the pot. Add the vegetables. Stir to combine and simmer on low for 1.5 hours; stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
THICKER SOUP TIPS: If you wish this soup to be thicker, you can add only 6 cups of broth at first. Add more broth later for thinning out the soup, if needed. Another option is to smash some of the beans with a spoon or a potato masher at the end of the cooking process. You can also blend up some of the beans with an immersion blender.