This Loaded Baked Mashed Potatoes recipe is a cheesy, delicious side dish suitable for holiday or family dinners throughout the year. It’s loaded with plenty of cheese, bacon, and roasted garlic for comforting goodness in every bite!
- 5 lbs russet potatoes (skin peeled & cut into chunks)
- 2 heads of garlic
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick, cut into pieces)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (cut into pieces)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups Cheddar cheese (shredded and divided)
- 1/2 cup milk (more or less)
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- pieces Optional toppings: real bacon and sliced green onions
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender. Drain well and return potatoes to pot.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut off the top quarter of the garlic head and set garlic head, cut side up, on top of a piece of foil that is large enough to wrap around the entire garlic head.
- Drizzle the top (cut area) with olive oil. Wrap foil around the garlic head. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the garlic cloves are very tender and soft. Carefully unwrap garlic head. Squeeze out roasted garlic or use a small knife tip or fork to “pop” out the cloves. Set aside roasted garlic and discard skins.
- With a potato masher, mash potatoes well. Then mash in the butter, cream cheese, sour cream, roasted garlic, and 2 cups of Cheddar cheese until all ingredients are combined with the potatoes. If needed, mix in some milk to ensure that the mixture is smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray a baking dish (approx 13×9″) with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon loaded mashed potatoes into baking dish. Top with remaining Cheddar cheese. If desired, top with sliced green onions and bacon. Cover with foil and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until cheese is melted and top begins to brown.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: 8 ingredients, baked mashed potatoes, casserole, cream cheese, roasted garlic, holiday side dish,