Make this Easy Oven-Baked Chimichangas recipe for a delicous, and versatile, family dinner! This oven-baked version is a healthier option than the traditional chimichangas (deep-fried burrito).
- 1 box Lundberg Organic Whole Grain Southwestern Rice
- 1 pound boneless (cut into thin strips, skinless chicken breast)
- 3 small bell peppers (seeded and sliced)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 6 100 % whole wheat tortillas (approximately 9″ size)
- Olive Oil (Grapeseed Oil, or Cooking Spray of your choice)
- Optional: shredded cheese (sour cream, guacamole, etc.)
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Prepare rice entree according to package instructions and set aside. Mix seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. Grease a large baking sheets with oil or cooking spray. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat approximately 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add chicken strips and cook until no longer pink and starting to brown. Add bell pepper and onion to chicken and cook over low heat just until vegetables are just barely tender-crisp (don’t over cook). If any liquid remains in pan, drain it off. Sprinkle chicken/veggies with seasoning and drizzle 1-2 tablespoons water over seasoning. Stir to combine with chicken/veggies.
- Lay one tortillas on clean work space or counter top. Place approximately 1/2 cup of chicken & vegetable mixture in the middle of the tortilla, in a line. Place approximately 1/4 cup of rice on top of chicken. Top with shredded cheese if desired.
- Fold opposite sides of the tortilla (near each side of the “line” of ingredients) inward towards the center. Fold bottom edge (edge closest to you) of tortilla over filling. Roll until filling is completely enclosed. Place seam side down on baking sheet. Repeat with additional tortillas. When all tortillas have been filled, spray or brush tops and sides of chimichangas generously.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, turn chimichangas over once after about 5-7 minutes. Bake until browned and crispy. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, etc.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: 10 ingredients, cinco de mayo, chicken breast, bell peppers, easy recipe, whole wheat tortillas,