This Overnight Vanilla Chai French Toast Bake Recipe is an easy make-ahead breakfast casserole that’s a wonderful treat during the holidays or Sunday morning breakfast. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and is made with a surprise ingredient: vanilla chai tea bags! Serve with syrup, whipped cream, or fresh fruit.
- 1 cup water
- 6 Bigelow Vanilla Chai Tea Bags
- Butter (enough to generously coat bottom and side of pan)
- 1 pound French bread loaf (cut into cubes)
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Oat Streusel Topping
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup pecan halves (chopped)
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Turn off heat and add tea bags, making sure each one comes in contact with the water. Steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags from water, allowing excess to drip off back into the pan, but do not squeeze the tea bags. Allow to cool completely.
- Generously butter the bottom and sides of an 8 1/2 x 11″ baking dish. Place bread cubes into baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, salt, and the cooled tea until well blended. Pour mixture over bread evenly. If any bread does not come in contact with the egg mixture, press the bread into the mixture slightly so all pieces are moistened.
- Cover baking dish with foil or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the oat streusel ingredients with a pastry blender or folk until all ingredients are combine and forming a course topping. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- To bake the Overnight Vanilla Chai French Toast Bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove it from the refrigerator and remove foil or plastic wrap. Sprinkle evenly with the oat streusel topping. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Serve spoonfuls with maple syrup, powdered sugar, or whipped cream. Also great with fresh fruit or even as a dessert with a scoop of ice cream.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bigelow tea, french bread, pecans, holiday casserole,