This quick and healthy chicken enchiladas recipe is an excellent choice when you want homemade enchiladas, but are short on time AND you want them to be a bit healthier than the usual enchiladas.
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 15 ounce can unsalted tomato sauce
- 3 cups shredded skinless (about 15 ounces, boneless rotisserie chicken breast or pre-cooked and shredded chicken breast)
- 15 ounce can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 12 inch corn tortillas (6-)
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup Mexican blend cheese (shredded)
- 1 large tomato (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 6 tablespoons sour cream (if desired for garnish)
- Preheat broiler to high. Combine first 9 ingredients (through sauce) in a medium saucepan and stir with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium- high heat. Cook 2 more minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Reserve 1 1/2 cups sauce mixture on the side.
- Add chicken and beans to pan; cook 3-4 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly heated.
- Stack 6 tortillas and wrap stack in damp paper towels and microwave for 15 seconds. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture in center of each tortilla and roll up. Arrange tortillas, seam sides down, in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat with other 6 tortillas starting with the stacking step.
- Top with reserved sauce and cheese. Broil 3-4 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly. Top with tomato and cilantro. Garnish with sour cream if desired.
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: cheddar cheese, corn tortilla, enchiladas sauce, canned black beans, sour cream,