Source: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Volume 1) by Julia Child, Simone Beck, Louisette Bertholle
- 2 lbs boiling potatoes (about 6–7 cups when sliced
- 1/2 clove unpeeled garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspooon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 cup boiling milk
- in Baking dish that is about 10″ diameter and 2″ deep
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them 1/8″ thick. Place in a bowl of cold water. Drain when ready to use.
- Rub the baking dish with the cut garlic. Rub the inside of the dish with 1 tablespoon butter. Drain the potatoes and dry them with a towel. Spread half of them in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle potatoes with half of the pepper, salt, cheese, and butter.
- Arrange the remaining potato slices over the first layer, and sprinkle with the remaining salt, pepper, cheese, and butter. Pour the boiling milk over the potatoes.
- Set baking dish over heat and when simmering, set in upper third of preheated oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender, milk has been absorbed, and the top is nicely browned.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: 5 ingredients,