- 1 pounds standing rib roast (prime rib roast, 8-10)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Remove roast from refrigerator and set on counter top for 2-3 hours, to bring to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Place the roast in a roasting pan, rib side down. Rub the roast with the seasonings and place in oven, uncovered. Allow to cook at 500°F for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes at 500°F, reduce the heat to 325°F. Continue cooking until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast (without touching fat or bone) registers 110-115°F for rare, 120-125°F for medium-rare, and 130-135°F for medium (roast will continue to cook once removed from oven and the temperature will rise about 5-10° more).
- Remove from oven and lightly cover with foil. Allow roast to rest for 20 minutes before carving.