This Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Quinoa and Kale recipe is a great fall side dish, but you might even want to enjoy it as a vegetarian main dish! It’s stuffed full of flavor with quinoa, kale, candied walnuts, and blue cheese.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped kale (stems removed, well packed)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup cooked red quinoa
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped candied walnuts (plus more for garnish)
- 2–3 ounces blue cheese crumbles (divided)
- Salt (to taste)
- Wash sweet potatoes well, pierce skin several times with the tines of a fork or the tip of a knife (keep cuts very small). Baked on a foil-lined baking sheet in a 400 degree F oven for about 45 minutes or until tender.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil in skillet and cook kale until wilted and edges are just beginning to brown or dry out. Remove from heat.
- When sweet potatoes are tender, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out sweet potato flesh from skins and place in a bowl – set skins aside, you will be refilling them later.
- Mash the sweet potato that is in the bowl with a fork or potato masher. Add butter, stirring until melted and combined. Gently stir in the kale and quinoa. When ingredients are combine, stir in the walnuts and about 2 ounces of blue cheese crumbles. Season to taste with salt.
- Refill potato skins with mixture. Garnish with a sprinkle of candied walnuts and blue cheese crumbles. Return to oven and bake until sweet potatoes are hot and top is beginning to brown.
–To make 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, cook 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa according to package instructions.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: 6 ingredients, fall side dish, stuffed sweet potato, quinoa stuffed sweet potato,