Have you tried to make your own homemade pancake mix? It’s so simple and the pancakes turn out wonderful. Sure, I know there are times when life is crazy and you’re feeling frazzled, so a box of packaged pancake mix makes the most sense, but seriously…give it a try.
Disclosure: this post contains compensated affiliate links
With just a tiny bit of planning, you can make up a dry mix and it will give you enough for a couple mornings of homemade pancakes. And it will cost you very little to do so. It’s also a great gift-in-a-jar idea.
Grab a bowl and with just a few ingredients — flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar — you have your pancake mix. I store mine in an air-tight glass jar, but you could store it in whatever works best for you.
When you are ready to make a batch of pancakes, just combine 1 cup of your DIY pancake mix, 1 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of oil or melted butter, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Mix it all up and you have your basic pancake batter. Don’t feel like you have to stop there though…you can add in a cup of chocolate chips, some toasted coconut, 1/2 cup of peanut butter…whatever additions make you happy.
Cook them on your griddle and just like that, you have a delicious, homemade pancake!
The folks at Teflon® sent me fun pan called a Flip-It to try out, so I made my pancakes in it.
When I flipped my Flip-It pan, one side of my pancake was imprinted with the US flag. The pan has a Teflon® nonstick coating, so my pancakes didn’t stick at all and clean up was super easy too.
I expected Mattie to notice the flag right away, but he ate his pancakes, raved about how they tasted and never mentioned the flag. After he brought his empty plate to the sink, he glanced over at the remaining pancakes and said, “there was a flag on them?”. I guess he ate them so quickly, he didn’t even notice. He did say that was “pretty cool”.
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Pour and store in an air-tight container. Use within 3 months.
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup of dry pancake mix, 1 egg, 1 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon oil or melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Heat griddle or pan over medium-high heat and lightly grease with butter. Pour ¼ cup of pancake batter on griddle or pan. When edges begin to dry out and batter has began to bubble, carefully flip pancake. Cook for another 1-2 minutes or until 2nd side is golden brown.
- Note: Will make approximately 8 pancakes, or for very large pancakes or using in Flip-It pan, use ½ cup of pancake batter to make 4 pancakes.
Adapted slightly from Homemade Instant Pancake Mix by Nigella Lawson
GIVEAWAY IS OVER!!
Would you like your own Flip It pan with Teflon® nonstick coating?? Well, I’m giving one away! One Home Cooking Memories reader will receive a Flip It pan of their own!
Required entry: Leave me a comment below with what toppings you and/or your children like for pancakes. Is butter and syrup your choice? Or do you like fruity toppings? Maybe your kids love whipped cream and chocolate chips? Tell me for a chance to win!
You can have up to 3 extra entries into this giveaway if you do one or more of the items listed below. Each item you do counts as one entry. If you already do one of these things, it counts! Leave me a separate comment for each of the items you do below:
1. Follow Home Cooking Memories on Facebook and come back to this post and leave a separate comment to say that you have done this.
2. Follow Home Cooking Memories on Twitter and come back to this post and leave a separate comment to say that you have done this.
3. Tweet this message:
I entered the Flip It Pan with @TeflonBrand giveaway from @HomeCookMemory — you can enter here: http://bit.ly/JpljTi
- Giveaway ends Friday, April 27th at 11:59 pm PST
- Giveaway is open to US residents only
- Winner will be selected via random.org. Winner will be notified via the email you provide with your comment.
- Winner will have 72 hrs to claim their prize or another winner will be chosen.
Disclosure: I was given a Flip It Pan with Teflon® nonstick coating to try out and keep for my use as part of this giveaway.
GIVEAWAY IS OVER!!