This Caramelized Onion-Beer Dip recipe features a creamy blend of cream cheese and sour cream with the addition of sweet caramelized onions and the flavor of your favorite beer.
- 3–4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups diced sweet onions (about 4 large onions)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup beer
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. You want enough butter to cover the bottom of your pan – start with 3 tablespoons butter and move to 4 tablespoons butter if needed.
- Add the diced onions to the melted butter and sprinkle the sugar on top of them. Cook the onions, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Increase the heat to high and stir in the beer. Bring to a boil. Once the beer comes to a boil, reduce the heat back to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the onions are golden brown and the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove onions from pan and allow to cool almost completely.
- In a large bowl, add cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Using a hand mixer, blend together ingredients in the bowl until fully combined and smooth. Stir caramelized onions in by hand to the dip mixture.
- Can be served immediately, but we recommend refrigerating at least 1 hour or longer. If desired, spoon dip into a serving bowl and top with minced green onions. Serve with potato chips, pretzels, pita chips or fresh cut veggies.
Makes approximately 3 1/2 cups of dip.
- Category: Dips
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: onion dip, cream cheese, beer dip,