This Caramelized Onion-Beer Dip recipe features a creamy blend of cream cheese and sour cream with the addition of sweet caramelized onions and the flavor of your favorite beer. Great potato chip dip!
This post is sponsored by JORD Wood Watches. This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read our full disclosure policy.
My husband has many loves: movies, Dodgers baseball, golf, bowling, AC/DC, cars, grilling, and much more.
And wrist watches. He’s always enjoyed wearing a watch and as a man who never wears jewelry, a watch is something you hardly ever see him without.
When Father’s Day was approaching, I was contacted by JORD, a company that makes wood watches. They wanted to know if I wanted to partner with them and I didn’t hesitate one bit. Not only had I already seen and fallen in love with their unique watches on Instagram, but David is a fan of any great looking watch.
I knew that he would love one of their pieces.
I picked out JORD’s “Ebony & Copper” watch for David. It’s a unique watch — the band is all-natural Ebony wood. The numerals on the watch pop in front of a ring of genuine copper. I love the way it looks.
Apparently, I made a great choice because he fell in love with his new watch too. He even raved about the packaging. It was presented in a beautiful wood box, set on top of a small pillow.
To fully show off his new watch, David happily came out from behind-the-scenes to share a recipe with all of you that features another favorite of his: beer.
This Caramelized Onion-Beer Dip recipe is a delicious dip that anyone who enjoys beer will appreciate. But you don’t have to be a beer drinker to like this dip. I’m not a beer drinker, but give me some potato chips and this Caramelized Onion-Beer Dip recipe is one of my favorites too.
To make this Caramelized Onion-Beer Dip recipe, you’ll first need to dice up a couple sweet onions — enough so that you’ll have 4 cups worth.
The onions are cooked in butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat, with a bit of sugar.
You’ll cook the onions, stirring constantly until they are soft and light golden in color — about 10 minutes. Then you’ll stir in your beer of choice and bring it to a simmer. Allow the onions to cook, uncovered until the beer has evaporated — about 30 minutes.
In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic until well blended. Stir the onions in by hand until they are fully incorporated into the cream cheese/sour cream mixture.
When you’re finished, you’ll have a delicious, creamy dip full of sweet caramelized onions and the flavor of your favorite beer.
We like it paired with potato chips, but you could great with pretzels and pita chips. If you prefer a healthier option, it’s also good with fresh veggies (like celery sticks, carrots, and broccoli florets). It’s great to serve for any casual occasion, but we tend to serve it most often during the summer, Father’s Day, and game day.
Of course, this dip also pairs well with a stylish wrist of your favorite new watch too.
Caramelized Onion-Beer Dip RecipePrint
Caramelized Onion-Beer Dip Recipe
This Caramelized Onion-Beer Dip recipe features a creamy blend of cream cheese and sour cream with the addition of sweet caramelized onions and the flavor of your favorite beer.
- 3–4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups diced sweet onions (about 4 large onions)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup beer
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. You want enough butter to cover the bottom of your pan – start with 3 tablespoons butter and move to 4 tablespoons butter if needed.
- Add the diced onions to the melted butter and sprinkle the sugar on top of them. Cook the onions, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Increase the heat to high and stir in the beer. Bring to a boil. Once the beer comes to a boil, reduce the heat back to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the onions are golden brown and the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove onions from pan and allow to cool almost completely.
- In a large bowl, add cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Using a hand mixer, blend together ingredients in the bowl until fully combined and smooth. Stir caramelized onions in by hand to the dip mixture.
- Can be served immediately, but we recommend refrigerating at least 1 hour or longer. If desired, spoon dip into a serving bowl and top with minced green onions. Serve with potato chips, pretzels, pita chips or fresh cut veggies.
Makes approximately 3 1/2 cups of dip.
- Category: Dips
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: onion dip, cream cheese, beer dip,
Originally posted on July 8th, 2017. Updated on May 30, 2019.
Leave a Reply