This Easy Homemade White Queso Dip Recipe is made with 3 cheeses — pepper jack cheese, white American cheese & cream cheese. Dip your tortilla chips in this spicy cheese dip or use to top nachos, baked potatoes, or french fries.
This post may contain some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read our full disclosure policy.
Queso dip has to be one of the very best things in life. Silky smooth, creamy, cheesy… its perfection. What’s even better is that homemade queso blanco dip (white cheese dip) is incredibly easy to make. It doesn’t take a lot of ingredients, no fancy kitchen tools are needed, and it doesn’t take long to make.
White Queso Dip is most popular served as an appetizer to Mexican or Tex-Mex meals. It’s usually served with tortilla chips for dipping (or scooping!!). But you don’t have to have Mexican food to enjoy this cheesy dip. It’s a yummy late night snack or a party dip that guests will enjoy for any occasion. It’s also delicious paired with meals like hamburgers and hot dogs or even fried chicken. And since queso dip is really just another version of cheese sauce, you can use it as a topping for nachos, baked potatoes, or french fries. Are you hungry yet??
Homemade White Queso Dip Ingredients
You will only need 6 ingredients to make this Homemade White Queso Dip recipe (for amounts, see the end of this post):
- Pepper Jack Cheese – We recommend that you buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself. The pre-shredded kind is coated with ingredients to prevent it from clumping and we’ve found that this can affect how well the cheese melts.
- White American Cheese – This can usually often be found at the deli counter at your grocery store. Just ask the deli clerk for a 1/2 pound unsliced. When you make this recipe, cut into cubes. If your store sells it in slices, this can also be used.
- Cream Cheese – You’ll want a full brick of cream cheese for this recipe. It’s best that it is softened, so remove it from the refrigerator and place it on the kitchen counter about 30-40 minutes before cooking.
- Sour Cream – Any brand can work, although we typically use either Daisy or Tillamook Sour Cream. Whether you use a store brand or brand name sour cream, the most important detail is to use a full-fat version.
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles – Rotel used to be the only brand of tomatoes and chiles, but nowadays, most stores have their own brand and there are other brand names as well. In either case, make sure to drain well before using.
- Whole Milk – To give your queso dip a perfect consistency, you’ll need some milk. Start with a small amount — about 1/4 cup and add more if needed. If you prefer, you can use half & half, canned evaporated milk, or even heavy cream. How much you’ll need to use will vary on how thin or thick you prefer your queso blanco dip to be and which product you use. Again, start with a small amount and add more as needed.
As mentioned above for the sour cream, you’ll definitely want to use the full-fat version of all the cheeses. We don’t recommend using light or reduced fat versions for this recipe.
You can also customize this recipe by adding 1/2 pound of cooked and crumbled beef, sausage, or chorizo.
Making this White Queso Dip is incredibly easy. All of the ingredients, except for the heavy cream (or milk), are placed into a saucepan. Over low heat, whisk the ingredients fairly constantly until they are smooth and combined. Then, use your heavy cream (or milk) to thin out the cheese dip until it reaches a consistency that you prefer. Be sure to add only a small amount of cream or milk and stir it in completely before adding more — a thin queso dip is no one’s friend.
For best results, this White Queso Dip should be served immediately after cooking. If serving at a party or another occasion, you may want to place this cheese dip in a small slow cooker with a warming option.
Homemade White Queso Dip Recipe
Here is the full recipe, ready for you to print. If you like this recipe, we’d love for you to share it on Facebook with your family and friends. You can also pin it on Pinterest for safekeeping. Enjoy!
Homemade White Queso Dip Recipe
This easy Homemade White Queso Dip Recipe is delicious and creamy! It’s made with 3 kinds of cheeses — pepper jack cheese, white American cheese, cream cheese — and a few other simple ingredients.
- Yield: Approximately 3 cups
- Category: Appetizers
- Cuisine: Mexican
–For best results, use full-fat products for the cheese and sour cream (not light or reduced fat).
–White American cheese can often be found in the deli of your grocery store. Just ask the deli clerk for 1/2 pound unsliced then cut at home into cubes. If your store sells it in slices, this can also be used.
–1/2 pound of cooked meat, such as beef, sausage or chorizo, is also delicious added to this dip.
–This recipe makes about 3 cups of queso dip and will serve about 12 people with 1/4 cup per person.
Keywords: queso blanco, cheese sauce, easy queso, homemade queso, pepper jack, cream cheese, 6 ingredients