Sandwiches are a frequent dinner in our house and here’s my latest creation that my family went crazy for: Italian Chicken Pesto Flatbread Sandwich. With chicken marinated in a robust Italian dressing, plus the addition of pesto and mozzarella cheese, you can’t go wrong.
- 1 packet Wish-Bone Italian Dressing and Seasoning Mix
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar (can sub other vinegars)
- 1 1/2 pounds Tyson Chicken Breasts (cut in thin strips)
- 6 flatbreads
- 6 tablespoons pesto sauce (use less if desired or if pesto is thin)
- 6–12 slices mozzarella cheese (exact amount depends on your preference)
- 12 slices tomato
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing mix, oil, water, and vinegar. Place chicken strips in a large bowl. Combine 1/3 cup of dressing marinade with chicken strips (reserve remaining marinade for later). Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- After marinating, use a slotted spoon to add chicken strips to a skillet on medium-high heat. Discard remaining chicken marinade. Cook chicken until cooked through and beginning to brown. If necessary, pour off and discard any liquid that collects in skillet during cooking.
- Heat panini maker or indoor grill according to manufacturer instructions. Brush one side of a flatbread with previously reserved marinade. Place coated side down on panini maker or indoor grill. Spread 1/2 – 1 tablespoon pesto sauce on 1/2 of the flatbread. Top pesto with a slice of mozzarella cheese, breaking up cheese into pieces, if necessary to ensure covering most of the pesto sauce. Top cheese with about 2 ounces of cooked chicken and then 2 tomato slices. If you like extra cheese, add a bit more cheese on top of the tomatoes.
- Fold flatbread without fillings over onto the side with the fillings and cook until browned and cheese is melted. Cut in half to serve, if desire.
- Category: Sandwich
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: 9 ingredients, chicken breast, mozzarella cheese, italian dressing mix, pesto sauce, flatbread,