Sandwiches are a frequent dinner in our house and here’s my latest creation that my family went crazy for: Italian Chicken Pesto Flatbread Sandwich. With chicken marinated in a robust Italian dressing, plus the addition of pesto and mozzarella cheese, you can’t go wrong.
When I plan meals for the week, I make the process as simple as possible by planning meals around certain themes or topics. For example, each week, I try to plan a salad for dinner during the warmer months. Some of the other themes might center around certain cuisines (such as Mexican or Italian) or a particular type of food, such as pasta or meatless meals.
One type of meal I plan most weeks is some sort of sandwich. This could mean anything from a hamburger to cold sub sandwiches. There is so many possibilities that you could literally eat a different sandwich each week and never have duplicates. And luckily, my family isn’t picky — they are quite the sandwich-friendly bunch, which makes my meal planning job much easier.
This week, I tried something new for our weekly sandwich dinner and it was a huge hit in our house, so I had to share it with all of you too. This Italian Chicken Pesto Flatbread Sandwich features two products that make a great combo for an easy dinner: Wish-bone Italian Dressing & Seasoning Mix + Tyson chicken breast. The dry dressing is mixed up to make a flavorful marinade for the chicken, while also being used on the flatbread to give it even more zing.
I had leftover pesto from another meal, but I still needed most of the other ingredients, so we headed to our nearest Sam’s Club. First stop was the chicken, which we picked up a big package of Tyson Fresh Chicken Breasts in the meat department.
While I buy chicken frequently at Sam’s Club, this was my first time buying a Tyson chicken breasts that had pre-packaged”pouches”. I found this extremely helpful when I got home because I didn’t need the whole package for our dinner and all I had to do was place the unused pouches into my freezer.
As I mentioned before, another ingredient in my flatbread sandwich recipe is Wish-Bone Italian Dressing & Seasoning Mix. I wasn’t able to find it at the Sam’s Club I visited (maybe it was at the other one I also shop at?), but I stopped off at Walmart on my way home and picked up a box of the mix. I found 3 different Wish-Bone Italian Dressing & Seasoning Mix varieties and I think they would all work great for this recipe, but David really liked the name “Robusto Italian” since he thought that would mean even more flavor, so we went with that (and it was flavorful!).
The Wish-Bone dry seasoning comes with 2 envelopes, so you have one extra envelope left after making this recipe. Of course, you could make salad dressing with it, but I find these types of mixes helpful for lots of easy dinner ideas, so I’ll probably be using it for another recipe.
All this is mixed and a portion of the mixture is poured over thin pieces of chicken to marinade for at least 30 minutes. After the chicken is done in the marinade, the chicken is cooked in a skillet until cooked all the way through and beginning to brown (the remaining marinade in the bowl is discarded).
When you are ready to start making your flatbread sandwiches, brush one side of the flatbread with the remaining Italian marinade. This will give the flatbread an amazing flavor, so don’t skip this step.
Follow the manufacturer instructions for your panini maker or indoor grill and when it’s heated, place the dressing side of the flatbread down on your grill. Top 1/2 of the flatbread with some pesto (I used my leftover homemade spinach pesto), mozzarella cheese, chicken, sliced tomatoes, and more cheese (if you wish). After the sandwich is browned and all melted, it’s ready to serve. Ah…look at all that melted goodness!
We cut our flatbread sandwiches in half to eat them, but you could cut them in 4th’s, if you prefer. Everyone in our house ate every last bit of these sandwiches and you know it’s a good meal when they tell you that they want this meal again.
Here is the complete recipe ready for you to save to your ZipList or if you prefer you can pin it to Pinterest to save if for later.Print
Italian Chicken Pesto Flatbread Sandwich
- 1 packet Wish-Bone Italian Dressing and Seasoning Mix
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vingear (can sub other vinegars)
- 1 1/2 pounds Tyson Chicken Breasts (cut in thin strips)
- 6 flatbreads
- 6 tablespoons pesto sauce (use less if desired or if pesto is thin)
- 6-12 slices mozzarella cheese (exact amount depends on your preference)
- 12 slices tomato
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing mix, oil, water, and vinegar. Place chicken strips in a large bowl. Combine 1/3 cup of dressing marinade with chicken strips (reserve remaining marinade for later). Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- After marinating, use a slotted spoon to add chicken strips to a skillet on medium-high heat. Discard remaining chicken marinade. Cook chicken until cooked through and beginning to brown. If necessary, pour off and discard any liquid that collects in skillet during cooking.
- Heat panini maker or indoor grill according to manufacturer instructions. Brush one side of a flatbread with previously reserved marinade. Place coated side down on panini maker or indoor grill. Spread 1/2 – 1 tablespoon pesto sauce on 1/2 of the flatbread. Top pesto with a slice of mozzarella cheese, breaking up cheese into pieces, if necessary to ensure covering most of the pesto sauce. Top cheese with about 2 ounces of cooked chicken and then 2 tomato slices. If you like extra cheese, add a bit more cheese on top of the tomatoes.
- Fold flatbread without fillings over onto the side with the fillings and cook until browned and cheese is melted. Cut in half to serve, if desire.
I’m sharing this *Italian Chicken Pesto Flatbread Sandwich* recipe as part of being a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This #CollectiveBias #shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for Collective Bias and its advertiser.