Grandma’s Lime Green Jello Salad Recipe (with Cottage Cheese & Pineapple) is a retro gelatin salad that I’ve been making for years as one of our Thanksgiving side dishes.
I’m really not a fan of this Jell-o salad, but it’s a favorite for my husband. He grew up with his grandmother making it for many of the holiday meals in their home.
My husband’s grandmother is no longer with us, but I continue with the tradition of making it for him. I make it every Thanksgiving. The funny part is that he’s really the only one who eats it. A lot of years, he’ll tell me, “you don’t have to make it this year”, but I always do.
For my husband, and all others, here it is:
Grandma’s Lime Green Jello Salad RecipePrint
Grandma’s Lime Green Jello Salad Recipe (with Cottage Cheese & Pineapple)
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (drained with juice reserved)
- 1 cup water (more or less depending on what’s needed, see instructions below)
- 2 packages lime Jell-o (3 oz each)
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 cup evaporated milk (canned)
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- In a large multi-cup measuring cup (I use my 4 cup Pyrex), add all of the reserved pineapple juice and then add enough water to the juice to make a total of 2 cups. Pour into pot and bring just to a boil.
- Add the lime Jell-o mixes to the boiling pineapple juice/water and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, stir together mayo and evaporated milk. Combine until very smooth. Stir in the Jell-o mixture. Add pineapple, cottage cheese, and walnuts.
- Pour mixture into an 8×8″ glass casserole pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight (preferred).