This Mini Summer Berry Galettes recipe is an easy dessert with strawberries & blueberries baked in a pie crust. SO DELICIOUS!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post for Socialstars #WalmartProduce
Oh, how I’ve missed summer fruits and vegetables. They are my favorite part of the summer. Just walking into the produce department makes me happy and the kids are loving it all too. They give lots of input — they devour pretty much any fruit, but watermelon and strawberries are a top pick.
A lot of the summer fruits we buy is for everyday snacking, but another great thing about the summer is that fruit makes a regular appearance during our meals. And, let’s not forget desserts. Our entire family is crazy for fruit desserts and these Mini Summer Berry Galettes have become the newest hit in our house.
Of course, my kids think these galettes are the fanciest thing ever. The truth is that while they look impressive, and taste amazing, they are incredibly simple to make. And they are like pie, but easier. And pie is good, don’t you agree?
While shopping at Walmart this week, I picked up everything I needed to make up a batch of these Mini Summer Berry Galettes. I found a great price on some beautiful strawberries in the Walmart Produce department, so I picked up 1 pound for the galettes, but 2 extras for our smoothies.
The galettes also needs an 11 ounce package of blueberries — these are so good that I had to fight myself to stop snacking on them and save them for the recipe!
While I was shopping, I noticed a sign hanging above the strawberries and the blueberries that I haven’t noticed before. It said that Walmart Produce has a 100% money back guarantee. If you don’t love their produce, bring back your receipt and you’ll get a full refund. I was very happy with my summer fruit purchases, but it’s reassuring to know that there won’t be questions asked if I did have an issue.
To make the galettes, you’ll cut the strawberries into small pieces and toss them together with the blueberries. Aren’t these colors beautiful? The fruit is tossed together with some sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and lemon zest, which smells AMAZING!
While you can certainly use homemade pie crust if you prefer, I decided to keep it easier by using premade refrigerated pie crust. Roll one of the crusts out and use an upside down bowl to cut out circles of crust, just like you would with a cookie cutter.
The bowl I used gives a pie crust with a 4 1/2″ diameter and I was able to get 4 mini crusts out of each pie crust.
On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, you can start assembling the galettes. It’s a simple as taking one pie crust and placing about 1/4 cup of the fruit mixture in the middle, leaving the edges empty. Be sure to not scoop any of the excess liquid that might form with the fruit.
Bring up the edges, overlapping them as necessary. You’ll want to press the overlapping areas together a bit so that they will hold.
After you’ve filled all of your pie crusts, brush them with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Then they go into the oven until the crust is baked and a nice golden brown.
These Mini Summer Berry Galettes are small enough that you could eat them by hand, but we generally place them on a plate.
To make them even more special and even yummier, top them with a whipped cream or, better yet, a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Mini Summer Berry Galettes Recipe
Here’s the complete recipe — if you aren’t ready for it yet, be sure to save it or pin to one of your Pinterest boards.Print
Mini Summer Berry Galettes
- Yield: 12 mini galettes
- 1 pound strawberries (hulled and cut into small pieces)
- 11 ounces blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 pie crusts (1 1/2 package of premade refrigerated pie crust)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Sugar for garnish
- Bring pie crust to room temperature by allowing it to sit on kitchen counter for about 15 minutes. Prepare a large baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries and blueberries. Sprinkle with sugar and cornstarch, gently toss with fruit to coat. Gently stir in cinnamon and lemon zest and set aside mixture.
- Carefully unroll one of the pie crusts on a lightly floured surface. Using a bowl with a diameter of approximately 4 1/2″ to cut out circles out of the dough, similar to how a cookie cutter is used (you should be able to get 4 circles out of one pie crust). Repeat process with remaining 2 pie crusts.
- Lay one of the 4 1/2″ circle pie crusts onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place approximately 1/4 cup of the fruit mixture in the middle of the pie crust, leaving the edges empty.Take care to not scoop excess liquid that might form with the fruit (using a slotted spoon can help). Bring the edges up over part of the fruit filling, overlapping them as necessary until all the edges have been brought up around the fruit. Gently press together the areas where the crust overlaps to help ensure that they stay up around the fruit. Repeat process with remaining pie crusts.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg and water with a fork until combined. With a pastry brush, brush crusts with egg wash. Sprinkle with additional sugar both on crusts and on top of fruit.
- Bake galettes in oven for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve warm or cooled. If desired, top with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.