This Peppermint Biscotti Recipe with White Chocolate Drizzle is a delicious holiday twist on traditional biscotti, a classic Italian cookie that is twice-baked.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. We receive a small commission if purchases are made through our links to retailers. Click here to read our full disclosure policy.
The traditional style of biscotti is an Italian classic with flavors of anise or almonds. But why not give it a holiday twist? By changing up some of the ingredients, you can have Peppermint Biscotti that is perfect for the holidays. It’s a wonderful treat for holiday parties and gatherings or for homemade food gifts. We enjoyed it during an after-dinner family holiday movie night complete with hot chocolate and coffee.
Biscotti is often served with coffee or tea for dunking. In our house, the same is true. Considering that my husband’s favorite way to treat himself is to have a cup of coffee with some sort of cookie, pastry, or coffee cake, he is THRILLED whenever I make this biscotti. In addition to this Peppermint Biscotti Recipe, I’ve also made a delicious Eggnog Biscotti, Hot Chocolate Biscotti (complete with mini marshmallows), and a Coconut-Pumpkin Biscotti. But while all of those are delicious, this Peppermint Biscotti is my most favorite of all.
How To Make Peppermint Biscotti
Peppermint Biscotti is fairly simple to make. The “hardest” part might be unwrapping the peppermint candies! But the good news is that there is pre-crushed peppermint candy available, if you prefer to make it a bit easier. I’ve found it in some grocery stores (such as the bulk bins at my local Winco) but it’s also sold online: Crushed Peppermint Candy for Baking
To make this Peppermint Biscotti recipe, you mix up a simple dough. I used my stand mixer, but you don’t have to have one to make biscotti. After mixing up the dough, it is divided in half and shaped into two long rolls. The rolls are patted down a bit and baked on a parchment paper lined baking sheets.
Once they have cooled a bit, you will slice the biscotti loaves into pieces. Then, they are returned to the oven for a 2nd time to make the pieces nice and crunchy.
After baking and your peppermint biscotti are completely cooled, drizzle the cookie slices with melted white chocolate. To do this, spoon your melted chocolate in a sandwich sized zipper bag and cut off just a tiny bit of one of the corners. Squeeze the bag and dragged it back and forth over the slices to decorate them. I make sure there is enough space between each cookie, so that when the white chocolate is drizzled, it falls slightly down the sides of the biscotti. It almost gives the look of icicles!
Immediately after drizzling the white chocolate, sprinkled with crushed peppermint candies.
How Long Will Biscotti Keep?
To store your Peppermint Biscotti, we recommend storing them after the drizzle has set. Storing in an air-tight metal tin or glass container, lined with parchment paper, is preferred to keep the crunchiness of your biscotti. If you need to stack your biscotti in the container, like we usually do, add another layer of parchment paper on the top of the bottom layer, and then top with another layer of biscotti. Repeating until your container is full or you’ve added all of your biscotti. Keep it stored at room temperature and don’t refrigerate. Biscotti will easily keep for a couple weeks.
Peppermint Biscotti Recipe
Here’s the complete recipe, ready for you to print. Not ready to make this yet? Be sure to save it! If you like this recipe, we’d love for you to share it with your friends and family on Facebook. Thank you for your support!Print
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 cube, softened)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
White Chocolate Drizzle
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat on medium speed the butter, eggs, sugar and peppermint extract until combined. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir 1/2 of the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Stir in remaining half of flour when first half is fully combined into the butter mixture. Stir in crushed peppermint.
- On a floured cutting board, divide dough in half. Shape each dough half into a long roll, approximately 14-16″ long. Carefully place rolls on prepared baking sheet, about 3″ apart from each other. With your hand, press down each roll so that they are approximately 1/2″ high.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pans and place on cooling racks. Set aside baking sheet, as it will be reused. When biscotti had cooled enough to handle, but is still warm, carefully move them to a cutting board and cut crosswise slices (approximately 1/2″ in size). Place slices, cut side down, back on original baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until somewhat firm. Transfer to wire racks to completely cool, with tops upwards.
- Place white chocolate chips and shortening in a small bowl. Heat for 20 seconds to melt chips. Stir, and if necessary, continue microwave at 5-10 second intervals to completely melt chocolate. Place chocolate in a small zipper-style plastic bag, seal, and snip off a very tiny corner of the bag. Squeeze out white chocolate through this small hole (increase size if necessary) and drizzle back and forth over the tops of the biscotti. While drizzle is still wet, sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies.
Keywords: biscotti recipe, peppermint biscotti recipe, christmas cookies, peppermint, white chocolate
This recipe was originally posted on Home Cooking Memories in December 2012.