Ah, cheesy nachos. Always a favorite in our house. It’s a fun meal idea for the weekend, especially while watching the game. Nachos are also my 1 of 2 “go-to” meals when we have a bunch of people over (the other meal is pizza). It’s so easy to buy a big bag of tortilla chips, make up the cheese sauce, and toppings and let everyone make their own nachos masterpiece.
This Smoked Sausage Nachos recipe is a twist on traditional nachos. Rather than steak, chicken, or beef, I’ve used Farmer John Hot Louisiana Smoked Sausages. I cut the links into pieces and cooked them in a pan until they were browned.
Since I used hot Louisiana sausage in this Smoked Sausage Nachos recipe, I have purposely paired them with a delicious, non-spicy cheese sauce. My cheese sauce uses both Cheddar Cheese and Swiss.
I also included lots of toppings too: black beans, sour cream, black olives, avocado, diced tomatoes, and salsa. Each person made their own plate of Smoked Sausage Nachos, so if someone doesn’t like something, they don’t have to use it.
TIP: I don’t buy small cans of sliced black olives. I buy whole olives and cut them in half (if using small olives) or in quarters (for large olives). By doing this, you spend about the same as for a small can of sliced olives, but you will get quite a bit more.Print
Smoked Sausage Nachos
- 1 1/2 pounds Farmer John Hot Louisiana Smoked Sausages
- 1 15 ounce can Black Beans (mostly drained)
- Cheese Sauce (recipe below)
- Tortilla Chips
- Optional Toppings: sour cream (diced avocado, diced tomatoes, salsa, black olives)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 pound Sharp Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 pound Swiss Cheese (shredded)
- Remove casing from sausage by first making a shallow cut along the length of of the sausage. Peel off casing (this step is optional and you can leave the casing on if you prefer, however this is how I prefer it). Cut each sausage in half length-wise and then cut each half into bite-size pieces. Place sausage pieces into a frying pan and cook over medium-high heat until browned.
- Place black beans in a small saucepan and heat on low until hot.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the flour into the melted butter and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking often, making sure to whisk is frequently scraping the bottom of the pan. Cook until mixture has thickened and has just barely began to boil. Lower heat to low and immediately begin whisking in the cheese. Turn off heat and continue to whisk until cheese is completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To assemble nachos:
- Each guest takes a place and place a desired amount of tortilla chips on their plate. Top chips with toppings, as desired, in any order: cheese sauce, smoked sausage, black beans, and optional toppings.
–Farmer John Smoked Sausages are sold in a 3 lb package. This recipe calls for half of the package, but if you wish to have lots of meat on hand, feel free to cook it all for this recipe. The same is true for the black beans, if you wish to use more, feel free to add another can.
–Cheese sauce can be thinned with a bit of milk, if you desire.
- Serving Size: 0
Farmer John Giveaway! (open to CA, NV, AZ, HI residents)
For those of you who live in one of the 4 states where Farmer John products are sold (California, Nevada, Arizona, and Hawaii), I have a GIVEAWAY!
I’m giving away ten (10) coupons for $5 off on any Farmer John product to 10 different winners!
These coupons can mean a free Farmer John product if the product price is $5 or less OR $5 off a product if it costs more than $5. These coupons can be used for Farmer John Sausages, Bacon, Pork, Hot Dogs, Lunch Meat…or even save it for the holidays towards a Thanksgiving or Christmas ham!
To enter, use the Rafflecopter below. The required entry is to answer the following question in the comment area below:
What grocery store do you usually buy Farmer John products in? If needed, you can find a list of stores here: https://www.farmerjohn.com/stores/list/
Plus, there is a way for you to have even more additional entries!
Disclosure: I was provided with free Farmer John products for my use, plus provided with the coupons to giveaway. This recipe, and any opinions shared, are 100% my own.