Tropical Toffee Brittle might not be your first thought for a Christmas candy, but who says we have to follow the usual rules? Brighten up your cold winter with tropical flavors.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened)
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup dried pineapple (about 3 1/2 rings, finely chopped)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks, cut into small pieces)
- Spray a large, rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine salt and baking soda and set aside.
- In a large, dry skillet over medium heat, add coconut and stir and move constantly while toasting the coconut until it’s just beginning to brown. Remove from heat immediately and transfer to a bowl. Set aside. In the same skillet, in the same manner, toast the macadamia nuts. When beginning to brown, remove from heat immediately and allow to cool. Coarsely chop cooled nuts.
- In a heavy medium to large saucepan, stir together sugar, corn syrup, and water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and boil, without stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and gently stir in butter. Combine with sugar mixture until butter is melted and thoroughly combined with the mixture. Continue cooking over medium heat, keeping a close watch. As soon as mixture is 296-300 degrees F (as shown on a candy thermometer), immediately remove from heat. Working quickly, stir in salt/baking soda mixture and then coconut, nuts, and pineapple.
- Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet and with a silicone or metal spatula, spread it as thinly and evenly as possible. Allow brittle to cool completely and then break into irregular pieces. If necessary, blot top and bottom of each piece with a paper towel to absorb any grease from pan.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: 8 ingredients, coconut, pineapple, macadamia nuts, christmas recipe,