- 8 ounces dried whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower florets (1/2 medium head)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots (sliced)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 12 ounces kale (12 cups, stems removed, leaves torn)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (1 cup, shredded)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions; add cauliflower during the last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain both the pasta and cauliflower. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium and saute onion and garlic for about 2 minutes. Add carrots and celery; cook until carrots are tender-crisp. Add kale and fold into other vegetables are you are able, until the kale is wilted. Combine vegetables with the pasta.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper with a whisk to create a thick paste. Continue to stir and cook flour/butter mixture for a few minutes and no raw flour taste. Whisk in milk; and cook and stir very frequently until thickened and bubbly. Turn off heat and whisk in cheddar cheese. Whisk until cheese is fully melted and incorporated into the mixture.
- Fold sauce together with the pasta/vegetable mixture. Spoon into a baking dish and cover with foil.. Bake for approximately 35 minutes. Carefully remove foil cover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5 minutes more.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American