I’m a bit jealous of those of you who have Autumn weather already appearing in your areas. I guess you could say that Las Vegas is cooling down a bit, but today’s high was still at least 95 degrees F. Well, at least the nights feel like they are getting cooler.
While it doesn’t feel very Fall-ish in these parts, there is things I do that (somewhat) satisfy my love of the season. One thing I do is go all out with my Autumn decorating. I think I decorate almost as much for Autumn (and Halloween and Thanksgiving), as I do for Christmas. The other thing I do is start cooking meals and desserts the celebrate the flavors of Fall.
This week, I am participating in #SundaySupper and our theme for this week is Autumn Apple Party, hosted by Cindy of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings. Apples are the number #2 food I think of when I think of Autumn (the first one is pumpkin), so I was particularly eager to get cooking!
The recipe I’m contributing to the Autumn Apple Party is Apple Butter Spice Cake.
It’s an apple cake full of flavor, plus it is made in one bowl, so there is less to clean up.
It’s great with some whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream…although we had it just by itself, which is also good.
If you are in the mood for some Autumn cooking, like I am, you’ll definitely want to check the list at the end of this post — it’s full of over 60 different Autumn Apple recipes!
- 1 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup apple butter
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup diced apples (I used about ½ of a medium sized granny smith)
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional: granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8" square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, place melted butter, apple butter, brown sugar, and oil and whisk until smooth. Add apples, nuts, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla and mix well. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt; whisk until just combined.
- Spread batter in the prepared baking dish. If desired, sprinkle top of batter with a bit of granulated sugar. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, which will be about 35-40 minutes.
Adapted from Eating Well
Here’s the rest of the participants in the Autumn Apple Party Menu:
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel - Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite apple recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!