Beef and Potato Tacos are a quick and easy family recipe, using Ore-Ida Shredded Hash Browns or Diced Hash Brown Potatoes.
When I was younger, my sister, Danielle, went to dinner at her boyfriend’s house. When she came home, she told my mom and dad that his mom had made tacos for dinner, but that they didn’t make taco the way our family made tacos. They made their tacos with potato in them.
This was the first time my parents had heard of such a thing…potatoes in tacos? My parents decided to give it a try and then it became a thing…from there on out, my parents always made our taco meat with potatoes. I have no doubt that it probably caught on because it would stretch the meat and feed our big family for less money, but no matter the saving, the concept worked and it was good.
Today, this is how I make our tacos too. Beef and Potato Tacos are a quick and easy meal — and a definite family favorite.
To make your own Beef and Potato Tacos, you will need 1 pound of ground beef, plus Ore-Ida Hash Brown Potatoes. We like onion in our tacos, so we also use that, but you can leave it out if you prefer.
TIP: When buying Ore-Ida Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes or Diced Hash Brown Potatoes — make sure you grab the packages that have the details about the Ore-Ida Family Holiday Giveaway. They are giving away lots of prizes, such as tickets to see Disney’s Frozen, a years supply of Ore-Ida, shopping sprees, and even a family trip for 4 to Atlantis Bahamas. I picked up my Ore-Ida at Walmart in the frozen food section.
To make your Beef and Potato Tacos, cook your ground beef with the onion in a skillet until done. After your ground beef is cooked, you will stir in your hashbrowns. I like using the Ore-Ida Hash Brown potatoes because they heat up fast in the meat, saving you time getting dinner on the table.
Next, add your taco seasoning and once everything is all combine and hot, it’s ready to serve. Use your beef and potato taco filling to fill tortillas. You can use either flour or corn tortillas, or even pre-made taco shells.
Top with toppings such as shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream, tomatoes, and more.
Here’s the complete recipe — it’s ready for you to print, or save to your ZipList recipe box. If you aren’t ready to use it yet, but want to save it, you can pin it to Pinterest.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup Ore-Ida Shedded Hashbrowns or Cubed Hashbrowns
- Taco Seasoning (recipe below) or 1 packet taco seasoning
- 8 flour tortillas, soft taco size
- Optional Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, etc.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- If making taco seasoning, mix them together in a small bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef with onion. As you are cooking the meat mixture, break up the meat with your spatula or spoon so the pieces are small. When the meat is fully cooked and onions are very tender, turn off heat and drain off any fat in the skillet. Return skillet with meat to heat (low). Stir in Ore-Ida Hashbrown potatoes. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and 2 tablespoons water (or so) and stir to incorporate everything into fully into the meat. Continue to heat and stir meat until no liquid remains in skillet and mixture is hot.
- Heat tortillas. Lay one tortilla on plate. Spoon 1/8 of the meat mixture in a line in the middle of your tortilla. Top with optional toppings, as desired, and enjoy!
--If using a taco seasoning packet, you can skip the homemade seasoning.
--Feel free to adjust homemade seasoning; use more or less of items depending on your tastes.
Check out more great Ore-Ida Potato Ideas in this Pinterest board: