This Easy Grilled Banana Dessert Bar Idea is sure to be a hit with family and friends at your next summer BBQ! Learn how to make grilled bananas, plus get plenty of topping ideas.
Grilling is a major part of our summer. We do grill year-round, but the summer is when we kick it up a notch. Dessert isn’t always part of our grilling (much to the disappoint of my kids), but on holidays, like 4th of July and other random times, it’s fun to make a dessert that can be made on the grill.
While s’mores are a favorite dessert to have when we are grilling, this year we finally got around to trying stuffed grilled bananas after hearing about them from friends. They are really easy to make and inexpensive too. Plus, including a lot of topping choices, like we do, is easy because you don’t need much for each banana. Each kids makes their own, which is always a hit in our house. No two bananas are topped the same!
To make grilled bananas, you will want one banana per person. Hold the banana so it curves upward and cut a slit from the stem to the opposite end through the top of the peel and through the banana, but making sure you don’t cut through the peel on the other site.
Open up the banana a bit and start stuffing it with your desired toppings.
I like to set up a a variety of toppings — things like granola, coconut, marshmallows, chocolate chips, chopped pecans, peanut butter chips, and graham cracker pieces. I placed most of my toppings in small 4 oz canning jars.
I even include some honey and cinnamon sugar too, which are delicious additions.
After you have filled your banana, it’s wrapped up in foil and placed on the grill.
After grilling, the skin will get a bit dark (depends on how long you keep it on the grill), but the inside with be full of warm, gooey, and delicious!
Easy Grilled Banana Dessert Bar Idea
- Bananas (1 per person)
- Assorted Toppings: chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, granola, coconut, marshmallows, chopped pecans, peanut butter chips, graham cracker pieces, strawberries, crushed pineapple
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Hold a banana with the curve upwards. With a knife, carefully cut a slit in one side peel, from the stem to the opposite end, similar to how you cut up a baked potato. Take care to make sure you don't cut through to the other side of the peel. With fingers, gently open up the banana a bit. Add toppings as desired inside of the banana. Wrap banana up in foil (either heavy duty foil or a double layer of thinner foil).
- Place on grill for about 8-10 minutes, or until toppings are melted as desired and banana has softened. Remove from grill, open up foil and serve.
My fellow #SundaySupper food blogging friends are also sharing amazing recipes for summer BBQ’s. Check them out!
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swedish Blonde Burgers by Eat, Move, Shine
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- Meat Stuffed Jalapenos by The Urban Mrs
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni’s Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin’ Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Pork Sliders with Peanut Sauce & Apple Slaw by Foxes Love Lemons
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Baby Potatoes With Peppers And Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Homemade Mustards by A Stack of Dishes
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Cucumber Bruschetta by Healthy. Delicious.
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Spinach & Pasta Salad by Family Foodie
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gluten Free Brownies by Blueberries & Blessings
- Grilled Stone Fruit Parfait by Pescetarian Journal
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Yogurt Pops by Runner’s Tales
- More S’mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
In the Cooler:
- Cherry Caipiroska by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mint Tea Slushes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Prickly Pear Margaritas by Ruffles & Truffles