Here’s how to freeze pancakes for a fast, hot, and inexpensive breakfast any day of the week.
This post brought to you by Walmart. All opinions are 100% mine.
I don’t know about you, but summer time is one of the busiest times of the year for us. I know a lot of people focus on ideas for a fast breakfast during the school year, but with all kind of activities and fun happening in the summer months, it’s just as important to our family to have an easy summer breakfast.
There is lots of options out there, but some of them can get quite expensive — such as drive-thru restaurants. And our kids love pancakes, but it’s not practical in our home for them to be made from scratch every morning. So, many times I make up a homemade pancake mix in advance or we use an inexpensive pre-made pancake mix from the grocery store.
Using pancake mix is fast, but I still want to be out of the kitchen even FASTER. My method is to make up an entire package of pancake mix so I can freeze the pancakes. I figure, why dirty up the dishes for just one batch? I might as well make the whole box and then this way, the kids can pull them out of the freezer, heat them up, and be ready for summer fun like trips to the pool, hiking, or going to the movies.
Here’s how to freeze pancakes for a fast breakfast:
1. Prepare the pancake batter according to the directions on the pancake mix.
2. Make your pancakes as directed on the box of pancake mix. Allow pancakes to cool completely on a plate or cooling rack.
3. Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Lay pancakes on the paper, without edges touching. After sheet is filled, you can lay with another sheet of wax paper or parchment paper, and fill another layer. Repeat with additional layers.
4. Place baking sheet of pancakes in the freezer and freeze until pancakes are firm.
5. Remove baking sheet from freezer and place pancakes in a zipper style freezer bag. Date the bag with today’s date. Use within 2 months.
To reheat frozen pancakes: Remove a few from the bag and place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for about 1 minute or until as hot as you like.
Need a DIY pancake mix?
Visit our post on how to make your own easy & inexpensive homemade pancake mix:
Want more summer breakfast ideas and tips? Check out this video with Erin of 5DollarDinners.com