These Key Lime Pies in a Jar are not only cute, but delicious and so simple to make. They’re great for parties or as a memorable dessert for your family. I’ll teach you how to make them, plus give you a chance at winning one of my favorite cookbooks, Desserts in a Jar.
This week for #SundaySupper, our theme is Desserts in a Jar, inspired by the cookbook by Shaina Olmanson of the same name. I received this cookbook at the Mixed Conference and it’s one of my favorite cookbooks. I love making fun recipes in my kitchen, stuff that my family will always remember, and making a dessert in a jar is a PERFECT way to do that.
If you’d like your own copy of Shaina’s book, you’ll be happy to know that I am giving away a copy of it! Just check the end of this post to enter. Also, many members of the Sunday Supper group are also giving away a copy of the book and have created our own Desserts in a Jar recipes. Check the end of this post to see all of their links — and feel free to enter on all the blogs to increase your chances of winning.
My contribution to the Desserts in a Jar Sunday Supper are Key Lime Pies in a Jar. I chose this because Key Lime is one of two pies that I love the most. The second kind is Lemon Meringue — but it’s a tie between both of them. It’s hard for me to pick one one I like more because I like them for different reasons and each one is just heavenly to me. But one thing that I love about key lime pie, over lemon meringue, is how easy it is to make. If you’ve never made one, you probably don’t realize just how easy it is.
One of the first steps is crushing up graham cracker crumbs. I do this in my food processor, but you could also put them in a zipper-style bag and crush them with a rolling pin. You could go even easier and buy pre-crushed graham cracker crumbs. The crumbs are mixed with a bit of sugar and melted butter. Then, you gently press some of the graham cracker crumb mixture into the bottom of 4 oz mason jars (those are the little ones).
For the filling, you’ll only need 3 things. Crazy, right? Only 3 ingredients: egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and key lime juice. For the juice, I use a bottle of Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice, which I can find in the baking aisle or near the cocktail area (near margarita mixes). All this is mixed up and smooth and blended. The mixture is divided between the mason jars.
The Key Lime Pies in a Jar are baked for about 15 minutes in the oven.
After they are refrigerated, and right before serving, top with some whipped cream. It’s also pretty to garnish with a bit of lime zest or even a small wedge of key lime.
- Serves: Eight 4 oz jars
- Serving size: 8
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup key lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter with a fork. Divide mixture among eight 4 oz canning jars (about 2 tablespoons per jar). Press crumbs down into the bottom of the jar.
- In medium bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, and juice. Beat on low, just until smooth. Spoon and divide mixture evenly into canning jars on top of the graham cracker crust (each jar will get a bit less than ¼ cup).
- Place jars on a baking sheet, about 2" apart from each other. Place in oven and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30-40 minutes on counter top. Cover jars (with canning lids, foil, plastic wrap, etc) and place in refrigerator to chill.
- When fully chilled and ready to serve, top with whipped cream and garnish with key lime zest and/or wedge (if desired).
Want to win a copy of Desserts in a Jar by Shaina Olmanson?
Harvard Commons Press has made it possible to give one of my readers their very own copy of Desserts in a Jar! To enter, just use the rafflecopter below! The only required entry is to leave a comment. I’ve also given you lots of ways to earn additional entries.
Also, don’t miss this amazing giveaway that’s happening tonight at 7pm EST at the #SundaySupper Twitter Chat: you could win tickets to the Food and Wine Conference in Orlando, FL, plus a 2 night stay during the conference at the beautiful Rosen Shingle Creek. All you have to do is join the chat on twitter by following and participating with the hashtag #SundaySupper. Plus, your participation in the chat gets you an extra entries into my cookbook giveaway!
Want more awesome desserts in a jar? Check out these ideas from the #SundaySupper gang:
- Summer Fruit Fool in Jars by Shockingly Delicious
- Banana Split Cakes in a Jar by Daily Dish Recipes
- Baked Cheesecake In A Jar by Chocolate Moosey
- Key Lime Pies in a Jar by Home Cooking Memories
- Fudgy Brownie Mix by What Smells So Good?
- 5 Minute Coffee Cake in a Jar by Juanita’s Cocina
- Strawberry Mess by Jane’s Adventure’s in Dinner
- Mini Blueberry Cream Cheese Pies by Magnolia Days
- Peach Crisp in Jars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes by Hip Foodie Mom
- Salted Caramel Frozen Yogurt by Healthy.Delicious
- Boston Cream Pie Trifle by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Egg Cream in A Jar by Growing Up Gabel
- Cinnamon Espresso Bread Pudding in a Jar by Country Girl in the Village
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake in a Jar by Runner’s Tales
- Blueberry Thyme Pie in a Jar by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Caramel Panna Cotta in a Jar by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Layered Melon Granitas in Jars by Curious Cuisiniere
- Red Velvet Wedding Cake In A Jar by Foxes Love Lemons
- Strawberry Shortcake with Lemon Mascarpone in a Jar by Gotta Get Baked
- Nutella Panna Cotta in a Jar by Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie in a Jar by Big Bears Wife
- Bacon Bourbon Bread Pudding by The Urban Mrs
- Cinnamon Caramel Affogatos by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Ice Cream by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Midori Melon Flower Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Triple Berry Crisp in a Jar by Ruffles & Truffles
- Guilt-Free Blueberry Cream Cheese Gingerbread in a Jar by Eat, Move, Shine
- Gluten Free Pull-Apart Cinnamon Bread in a Jar by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Roasted Strawberry Coconut Cream Parfaits With Toasted Coconut by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate and Banana Ice Box Trifle In A Jar by In the Kitchen with KP