This quick and easy Shrimp and Asparagus Stir Fry with Lemon Sauce recipe is full of amazing flavor — and it’s good for you too!
I can’t believe this Autumn and Winter loving gal is going to say this, but I am loving that spring is here. I’m SOOO ready for it and seeing everything blooming around Vegas is making me happy.
But, while pretty flowers and the leaves filling in on our trees is great and all, I am more excited about my favorite fruits and vegetables coming into season again — like asparagus. It’s one of my big-time favorites, but unfortunately, our house is split 50/50 on who likes asparagus and who doesn’t. Since it’s usually a side dish in our house, so it’s not a big deal if I make it because I’ll usually add in another vegetable with our dinner so the non-asparagus eaters can enjoy something else. But having it as part of the main dish is a bit trickier.
This week, 2 of the 3 non-asparagus eating kids weren’t going to have dinner with us so this was a perfect time for the rest of us to indulge in this wonderful springtime vegetable. Non-asparagus eater #3 would be home, but he’s a bit more flexible and doesn’t truly hate asparagus….he just prefers to not have it. It was time to go for it and I did — with my Shrimp and Asparagus Stir Fry with Lemon Sauce.
One of my favorite things about this stir fry is that it has equal amounts of shrimp and asparagus — 1 pound of each. I also purposely keep it with use asparagus and no additional vegetables. Of course, you can change it up if you’d like, but I make other stir fry’s with lots of different veggies, so I like that this one has a short ingredient list.
The shrimp is cooked first, in a frying pan, and then removed from the pan and set aside while the asparagus cooks. Towards the end, a bit of minced garlic is added, as well as some ginger (I used Gourmet Garden Ginger Paste, which makes this meal even easier).
It’s really hard for me to pick the main star in this recipe. The shrimp? The asparagus? As much as I love both, I think the happy lemon sauce is what makes this stir fry standout. We’re crazy about the flavor of this sauce, which is also great for using with a chicken stir fry.
After the sauce is poured into the frying pan and combined with the shrimp and asparagus, it will thicken up and dinner is ready to be served! Would you believe that it will only take you 15 minutes or less to make this fresh and delicious springtime dinner? Yep! It’s so easy and just another example of how great food memories — for asparagus eaters, that is — can be made without spending all day in the kitchen.
Shrimp and Asparagus Stir Fry with Lemon Sauce Recipe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed and each stalk cut into 2-3" pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger (Gourmet Garden Ginger Paste)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅔ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the lemon sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp to pan in a single layer and cook for about 3 minutes, turning them over to cook both sides. Season shrimp with ¼ teaspoon salt. Shrimp should be beginning to pink on both sides and be opaque, but just slightly undercooked. Remove from frying pan and place shrimp on a plate.
- In same frying pan, heat another 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and cook until asparagus is tender-crisp, bright green, and just barely beginning to brown. Season asparagus with ¼ teaspoon salt (or more if needed). Add ginger and garlic and stir to combine with asparagus. Cook for another 30-45 seconds or so.
- Pour in lemon sauce mixture into frying pan with asparagus. Add shrimp back into pan and combine sauce with asparagus and shrimp. Simmer for about a minute or until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and serve.
Need more quick recipe ideas? Check out these:
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Paninis by Better in Bulk
- Bean Sprout Fried Rice by Cute as a Fox
- Nutella-Fluffernutter by Around My Family Table
- Curry Ginger Chicken Salad Crostini by Jen’s Journey
- 10 Minute Gluten Free Pizza by Mama Dweeb
- Shrimp and Asparagus Stir Fry with Lemon Sauce by Home Cooking Memories
- Easy Fish Soup by Emily’s Frugal Tips