I do use bottled barbecue sauces, but making your own homemade barbecue sauce is soooo easy.
This recipe is for our favorite — it’s sweet, it’s spicy…we love it. I like it the best with chicken. It’s the sauce I used on my Grilled Butterflied Whole Chicken and even typing about it right now makes me crave it!
Here’s the recipe — feel free to adjust the red pepper flakes if you don’t want your sauce to be too spicy. Of course, you could also add even more in if you like things hotter.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (may adjust more or less)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, for approximately 15 minutes. Use as desired.