One of the key things I’ve had to realize about myself when it comes to losing weight is that I just can’t leave the house hungry. When I am hungry, all common sense leaves me and I rationalize in my mind why stopping off at McDonald’s isn’t such a big deal.
While I do love cooking, I tend to want fairly simple and easy meals and snacks earlier in the day. Dinner is the main meal in our home (which is why you’ll see I plan for dinner and not the other meals) and that’s when I (many times) do something more involved – something that requires more time.
But breakfast, lunch, and snacks is a “you on your own” sort of deal in our house and since I am usually busy with family stuff or work, I tend to gravitate towards simple things. I thought it would be fun to list my favorite snacks (which these things I enjoy equally for breakfast or lunches):
My Top 10 Favorite Snacks
1. Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese Wedges & Crackers: This is my absolute favorite snack – I love Laughing Cow cheese. There is something so satisfying to me about sitting down with a few crackers and spreading each one carefully with a bit of soft cheese.
2. Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese Wedges & Granny Smith Apple: I cut the apple into wedges with my apple cutter and “dip” each wedge into some of the cheese. I’ve done it with other apples too, but the tartness of a granny smith is great with the cheese. YUM!
3. NUTS! I love just about any type of nuts. Almonds are a favorite, but pistachios run a close second. But I pretty much like them all. I am in heaven when I am in the bulk nuts section of the grocery store.
4. Yogurt with Granola: I love having some type of yogurt with crunchy granola sprinkled on top.
5. Hummus: Hummus is one of those things that I was unsure of before I tried it. But after more and more people said that it was one of their favorite dips, I figured I should give it a try. It seems like I am making it about once a week now.
6. SOYJOY Bars: My absolute favorite is the mango coconut, but as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I recently received their new blueberry flavor to try. It was really good too, so it’s easily my #2 favorite flavor. One interesting note: one of my favorite things about SOYJOY bars is how durable their wrapper is…I can toss them in my purse and the wrapper doesn’t pop open or break down.
7. Salsa & Baked Tortilla Chips: I do like it when it’s my homemade salsa, but I’m not super picky — I’ll take a jarred one too. We like to cut corn tortillas into wedges, place on greased baking sheet, spritz with a bit of cooking spray and sprinkle with a bit of salt or other other seasoning I mix up.
8. Frozen Bananas: This is such a treat! I like to take a banana, peel it and insert a stick (like a craft stick) into one end of it (if the banana is very long, I cut it in half first). I I spread a bit of creamy peanut butter or almond butter on it and then roll it in some granola, chopped nuts, or even a crunchy cereal. Place on a wax paper lined plate and place in freezer until frozen.
9. Edamame: I usually get the ones that are still in their pod and lightly salted. They are sold in the frozen food section of many stores. Similar to my experience with hummus, I heard so many people raving about edamame that I just had to try it! Now I’m hooked.
10. Frozen Grapes: Again, like the bananas, this is a big favorite of mine – I must have a thing for frozen fruit. It’s especially good in the hot summer. Just wash, let dry a bit, and toss in the freezer.
There you have it – my top 10 favorite snacks (for today, at least). And now I just thought of a few more I could list, but I’ll leave it at ten.
What are your favorite snacks?