Skip the bun! This Sloppy Joe Nachos recipe is just like the sandwiches, but MORE cheesy & MORE fun! An easy meal for any laid-back occasion – like movie night or game day.
Disclosure: Thank you to Frito-Lay for sponsoring this recipe. This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read our full disclosure policy.
It’s football season and while that fact alone is plenty enough for many of you, I know those game-day snacks are a top priority too. Who wants to watch a game without something to snack on? Not me!
One of the favorite dinners in our house — especially on a game day — is sloppy joes. The kids love them, the husband loves them and bonus for me: they are so simple to make. I knew that converting our sloppy joe sandwiches into deliciously cheesy and crunchy Sloppy Joe Nachos was a game day must!
To make your own Sloppy Joe Nachos recipe, you will need a great tortilla chip. I went with TOSTITOS Original Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips, which are great for holding all the nacho layers.
In a large skillet, you’ll cook your sloppy joe mixture. It doesn’t take that long to make, which is great because you don’t have to miss the pre-game show. And another great thing about this mixture is that it’s perfect to make ahead. Just make it the day before and heat it up before everyone wants to eat.
To assemble your Sloppy Joe Nachos, you’ll need an oven-safe pan. I like to serve individual batches made in pie pans. I usually use old metal pie pans that I’ve saved from frozen pies. If you don’t have any, you can either by metal pie pans or even a baking sheet to make a larger batch.
Begin building your nachos by placing a layer of chips in your pan, a couple scoops of the Sloppy Joe mixture, and shredded cheese. Then repeat the layers again.
Place your pan of nachos in the oven until the cheese is all melted. Top with green onions and tomatoes, if you wish.
Sloppy Joe Nachos Recipe
Here is the full recipe for my Sloppy Joe Nachos – you can easily pin it to one of your Pinterest boards by clicking this Pin It Button:Print
Sloppy Joe Nachos
Need a game day snack? My Sloppy Joe Nachos are a fun change of pace to usual nacho recipes.
- Frito-Lay TOSTITOS® Original Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips (13 ounce bag)
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 ounces tomato paste (1/2 of a 6 ounce can)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound cheddar-jack cheese (shredded)
- Optional toppings: sliced green onions (chopped tomatoes)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef, onions, and bell pepper until meat is brown and cooked thoroughly. Drain off any fat.
- While heating over low to medium heat, stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water into the meat until combined. Stir in brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and red pepper flakes. Stir until all ingredients are combined with the meat and mixture is hot. Remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a metal pie plate, place a layer of TOSTITOS, then a couple scoops of the sloppy joe mixture, followed by shredded cheese. Repeat layers. Place pan in oven and cook until cheese is hot and melted (about 5 minutes). Remove from oven and top with sliced green onions and chopped tomatoes, if desired.
–Ingredients and serving size are approximate.
–Any size oven-safe pan can be used. I use metal pie plates to create individual servings, however a large baking sheet can also be used, especially for serving a bigger group of people.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: ground beef, tortilla chips, cheddar jack cheese, game day recipe, chili powder, tomato paste, movie night, bell pepper,
Leave a Reply