Love s’mores? This Smores Pull-Apart Rolls recipe brings all that chocolate and toasted marshmallow flavors you love…inside!
This blog post was sponsored by KING’S HAWAIIAN®.
Ok, I know. S’more are for the summer, right? It’s the perfect easy treat for campfires, barbecues, and grilling out. But, the combination of chocolate with marshmallows — why should summer get all the fun?
Even if it’s the middle of winter and you’re not going to roast marshmallows outside, there is easy ways to bring that smores flavor inside for the holidays. This Smores Pull-Apart Rolls recipe is one perfect example. You only need a few ingredients, one of which is a package of King’s Hawaiian Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. These are my favorite dinner roll to pick up at the grocery store and they are versatile for tons of other recipes…including smore recipes!
To make this ooey gooey chocolatey, marshmallow delight for your holiday guests, you’ll first need a full package of King’s Hawaiian Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. The fluffiness and the sweetness of King’s Hawaiian rolls make them an excellent match for Smores Pull-Apart Rolls, so be sure to avoid any substitutions. I picked up my King’s Hawaiian Rolls at Walmart, where there is always a large display of them available.
Remove all of the rolls out of the packaging, without separating the rolls. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut the rolls in halves horizontally, so that you have all the tops separate from the bottoms. Try to do this as evenly as possible, but don’t worry if you aren’t perfect.
Prepare an 8×8″ baking dish by greasing it with butter (not cooking spray). Then, spread about 1 tablespoon of butter on top of the top part of the rolls. Sprinkle the buttered tops of King’s Hawaiian Rolls with about 1 tablespoon granulated sugar.
Place the tops of the rolls, buttered/sugared side down, in your prepared baking dish. So, your tops will be upside down in your pan. You will have to lightly push the rolls together to get them to fit in the pan. Spread a tablespoon of butter on top of the rolls in the pan (the cut side that is facing up). Then, using a fork or butter knife, gently separate all of the rolls. While the sides of the rolls will still be touching in the pan, you just want to make sure they are are mostly disconnected from each other.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips and marshmallows on top of the buttered rolls.
Separate the bottom rolls pieces and lay them on top of the marshmallows and chocolate chips, bottoms facing up (cut side down).
In a small saucepan, you’ll melt together butter and marshmallow cream, which is then poured over the top of everything. After this, it will go off to the oven where the marshmallow mixture will melt even more and make it’s way down to the bottom layer.
After baking, you’ll have a glorious mess of toasted marshmallow! Underneath, you’ll have layers of outrageous sweetness. But, you’re not done yet.
After cooling just a bit, place a large plate on top of your baking dish and turn everything over. Remember how you put the King’s Hawaiian Roll tops in upside down? Now is when we make everything right. The tops will be the top and the bottoms will be the bottom. Allow the Smore Rolls to fall out of the pan, onto the plate. While it’s still hot, drizzle with melted marshmallow and sprinkle with more chocolate chips.
I think it’s best to serve these on small plates because these are full of messy goodness. Of course, my kids ditched the plates and this was a hands-on event for them! If you want to make these Smores Pull-Apart Rolls even yummier, they are delicious served scoop of vanilla ice cream too.
Here’s the full recipe – if you aren’t ready to make it yet, be sure to save this post by pinning one of the images to your dessert board on Pinterest!
Smores Pull-Apart Rolls RecipePrint
Smores Pull-Apart Rolls Recipe
- Yield: 12
- 5 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 1/2 tablespoons butter (divided, softened)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 12- ounce package King’s Hawaiian Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls (12 count)
- 1 1/3 cups milk chocolate chips (divided)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons water
- Grease an 8×8″ baking dish with 1/2 tablespoon of the butter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the rolls from the packaging, without separating the rolls. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut the rolls in halves horizontally, separating the tops from the bottoms.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of butter on top of the top part of the rolls. Sprinkle the buttered top with the granulated sugar.
- Place the tops of the rolls, buttered/sugared side down, in your prepared baking dish (the tops will be upside down in your pan). You will have to lightly push the rolls together to get them to fit in the pan. Spread a tablespoon of butter on top of the rolls in the pan (the cut side that is facing up). Use a fork or butter knife to gently cut/separate all of the rolls. The sides of the rolls will still be touching in the pan, you just want to make sure they are are not connected anymore.
- Sprinkle 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 1/2 cups marshmallows on top of the buttered rolls.
- Separate the bottom rolls pieces into 12 pieces. Lay the bottom roll pieces on top of the marshmallows and chocolate chips, bottoms facing up (cut side down).
- In a medium saucepan on low heat , melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in 4 cups mini marshmallows, and stir constantly to combine with butter. Continue stirring until mixture is smooth and marshmallows are completely melted.
- Pour melted marshmallow/butter mixture evenly over the top of rolls. Bake for 15 minutes, or until marshmallow is lightly toasted. Remove from oven and allow to cool, in pan, for about 5 minutes.
- Place a large plate upside down on top of your baking dish and, while using pot holders and holding the plate on top of the baking dish, turn both plate and baking dish over at once until the baking dish is upside down. Place the plate on your kitchen counter with the upside down baking dish on top, allowing the rolls to fall completely of the pan, onto the plate. Remove baking dish. Top with marshmallow drizzle and about 1/3 cup chocolate chips.
- In a saucepan on low heat , melt 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows, and stir fairly constantly to combine with butter. Continue stirring until mixture is smooth and marshmallows are completely melted. Stir in 2 teaspoons water. Use immediately to drizzle on top of rolls.
This is just one idea using King’s Hawaiian breads — get more delicious holiday ideas here: KING’S HAWAIIAN holiday recipes