Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad features three things that go together deliciously — potatoes, cheese, and bacon! This potato salad is a favorite in our house and served at many of our barbecues and summer parties.
The theme for this week’s #SundaySupper is Father’s Day, and it seemed only fitting that I share one of my Dad’s favorite things: Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad. This potato salad originated with my husband’s sister who started making potato salad with bacon and cheese. I took it from there and ever since, I’ve been making my version of it for my family.
My dad LOVED my potato salad. He always requested it and it always made him happy when I made it for our barbecues and get-togethers.
In 2008, my brother flew from California to my Dad’s house in Virginia, so my family and I drove 6 hours from our house to spend the day with them. I cooked the potatoes and the eggs before our road trip and when I arrived at my Dad’s house, I cooked up the bacon and finished making it. My Dad barbecued up some “chicky” as he called it. While this usually meant drumsticks or thighs because of how cheap they can be, this barbecue was special and he made chicken breasts.
At dinner, my Dad raved about my potato salad, like he always did. And, like always, he ate a helping that would be easily made for 2-3 (or more) people. We still have no clue to this day where he packed away all the food he ate.
It was a wonderful barbecue. We reminisced, we laughed, we took photos…and we loved being with each other.
I didn’t know that this would be the last time my Dad would enjoy my potato salad.
I didn’t know it would be the last time I would spend time with him.
I didn’t know that the next time I would be at his house, it would be after he was gone.
This is our 2nd Father’s Day without him and it’s still hard to know he’s not here. Father’s Day was very important to him. He didn’t care about getting presents, but loved getting a call from each of us kids. I wish I could call him up today and hear him say one more time “I love you too sweetie”. We were truly his world and if anything comforts me this Father’s Day it’s knowing that.
In honor of my Dad on Father’s Day, I am happy to share my Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad with you all.
The first step in this recipe is washing and boiling the potatoes. I use russet potatoes usually, but have also used Yukon Gold or other varieties on occasion. I boil them with the skin on and when they are done, I drain them and allow them to cool completely. When they are cooled, I peel the skins off (using my fingers, but you could use a peeler if you prefer). Finally, the potatoes are cut into cubes.
While my potatoes are cooking, I cook the bacon, shred the cheese and hard-boil the eggs. Everything is combined together, including mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste.
Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad
- 5 pounds russet potatoes
- 9 eggs, hard-boiled
- 12 ounces bacon
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1½ cups mayonnaise (more or less, depending on taste)
- Salt an pepper, to taste
- Optional garnish: sliced green onions, crumbled bacon
- Scrub potatoes well and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil on the stove. Reduce to heat to a medium and continue to cook for approximately 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes immediately and remove from pot. Allow the potatoes to cool completely.
- While potatoes are cooling, peel the hard boiled eggs and allow them to cool (if not cooled yet). When the eggs are cooled, chop them. Cook bacon according to package directions and when cooled, chop or crumbled the bacon.
- When potatoes are cool, gently peel potato skins from the potatoes with your fingers (or gently with potato peeler if you prefer). Dice potatoes so they are in chunks and pieces are somewhat uniform in size. Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl, add cooled bacon, eggs, and cheese. Combine gently. Add mayonnaise to potato mixture and combine. Season, as desired, with salt and pepper. Garnish with sliced green onions or additional crumbled bacon, if you wish.
--This is a versatile recipe: if you wish to use more of the ingredients listed, go for it!
For even more delicious Father’s Day recipes, check out this round up by my fellow food blogger friends:
Dad’s Favorite Main Dishes:
- Father’s Day Ribs by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chorizo Burgers by La Cocina de Leslie
- Whiskey Sliders by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Beer Can Chicken by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pesto Shrimp Roll Sandwich by Growing Up Gabel
- Cast Iron Filet Mignon with Wine Sauce by I Run For Wine
- Grilled Tilapia with Blueberry Mango Salsa by Runner’s Tales
- Chicken Wings for Dad by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fish with Black Bean Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti with Homemade Meatballs by Curious Cuisiniere
- Tamale Pie Ring by Treats & Trinkets
- Grill-Roasted Chicken & Vegetables by Foxes Loves Lemons
- Grandma Papina’s Lamb Stew by Webicurean
- Barbecue Beans and Ribs by Food Lust People Love
- Skillet Meat Lasagna by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Panko Crusted Snapper by Supper for a Steal
- Gluten Free Bourbon Honey Grilled Pork Chops by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Boiled Shrimp for Father’s Day by The Catholic Foodie
- Dad’s Famous Baby Back Ribs by Family Foodie
- Turkey Stuffed Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Lightened Up Fish Biriyani With Fresh Dill by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheddar Pierogi by Healthy.Delicious
Dad’s Favorite Appetizers and Sides:
- Spicy Caramelized Bacon Wrapped Smoked Oysters by Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuna Pasta Salad – Dad’s Recipe by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Bok Choy by Shockingly Delicious
- Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad by Home Cooking Memories
- Couscous Tabbouleh by Soni’s Food
Dad’s Favorite Desserts
- Dad’s Cheesecake by Table for 7
- Cheese Crackers by The Urban Mrs
- Coconut Cream Pie by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chewy Oat Cookies with a Banana Bread Influence by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Nutter Butters by Pies and Plots
- Shoot for the Stars Chocolate Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Golden Coconut Bars by Magnolia Days
- Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by NeighborFood
- Velvet Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite
Come celebrate Father’s day with the Sunday Supper Team! We would love to have you join our Twitter #SundaySupper chat starting at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to seeing you. To join all you need to do is follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and share your favorite tips and recipes. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.