Easy Breakfast Roll-Ups are a versatile breakfast idea that’s also perfect for taking on-the-go.
One of the popular breakfast ideas in our house is breakfast burritos. Whenever we take a road trip, I usually make a bunch of breakfast burritos up the night before so they are ready to go in the morning — usually to be eaten in the car.
But here’s the thing — you would not believe the amount of egg I find on the floor of the car once we get to our first stop. I mean, I get it…I don’t load down the burritos with a bunch of cheese (which would help keep the scrambled egg together). They get munching on their burrito and a piece or two of egg tries to escape. It rolls right on down to the floor, sometimes where it’s not easy to find.
All of this inspired me to make Easy Breakfast Roll-Ups. We still have breakfast burritos (seriously, nothing can make me given them up), but I thought how nice it would be to have a “breakfast burrito” style breakfast, with less mess. As you’ll see, these Breakfast Roll-Ups are pretty much the same idea as a breakfast burrito — tortilla, egg, and whatever additions or toppings you would like. But while they are similar, the egg is cooked differently and breakfast roll-ups are much more portable, less messy, and a lot easier to dip, all of which makes them a great option for kids.
One of the important keys to making your own Easy Breakfast Roll-Ups is having a tortilla that fits the bottom of your pan (as you see in the photo below). The diameter of the bottom of your pan is going to be the diameter of the egg you cook and you want the egg to be pretty much the same size as your tortilla.
Each Breakfast Roll-Up uses a soft taco size flour tortilla, plus one egg. The egg is beaten in a bowl with a bit of water or milk and it’s poured into a hot, lightly greased non-stick pan. If the egg doesn’t fully cover the bottom of your pan, give it a gentle tilt to roll liquid egg to all of the bottom surfaces of the pan. I don’t flip the egg because I find that it cooks well enough without flipping. But you can flip if you insist.
After the egg is fully cooked, use a heat-resistant rubber spatula to go around the edges, making sure nothing is sticking. You’ll use the spatula to help remove the egg from the pan too.
For the Breakfast Roll-Ups I made in these photos, I put two thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese in the middle of the tortilla. I like to put this down first so that the egg (which will be placed on top of it) will melt the cheese.
With the help of the rubber spatula, slide the egg out of the pan and directly on top of the tortilla (and cheese, if you are using it).
You can add some other toppings, if you wish. I put some baby spinach on ours, but you could also add more cheese, bacon, crumbled sausage, mushroom, avocado…pretty much whatever you like. Don’t go crazy though — make sure not to add too much of your toppings or you could have trouble rolling up your Breakfast Roll-Up.
Next, roll up your Breakfast Roll-Ups. If you wish, you can cut them in half, which is what we like to do. I also like to wrap them up in some foil, a napkin, or even parchment paper.
One of the things I like the best about Breakfast Roll-Ups is that you can dip them easily into hot sauce, salsa…or my son’s choice: ketchup. And, of course, there is no egg falling out when you are dipping.
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water or milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 soft taco size flour tortilla (approximately 7 1/2 - 8" diameter)
- Optional fillings: baby spinach leaves, avocado, tomatoes, bacon, crumbled sausage, cheese, etc.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg and water/milk until combined. Lay tortilla out on a plate, top with cheese, if you wish to use.
- Spray a pan with cooking spray that has nearly the same diameter as the tortilla. Heat pan over medium-low heat and pour egg mixture into pan. Gently tilt or swirl pan to ensure that liquid egg covers the entire bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until egg is cooked and no longer liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a heat-resistant rubber spatula, help slide cooked egg directly on top of tortilla/cheese.Top egg with optional fillings. Roll up tortilla somewhat firmly, but without tearing tortilla or shifting ingredients. Cut roll-up in half and serve.
I wanted to mention that while I call these “Breakfast” Roll-Ups, these are great for an easy dinner or lunch. You can beat a dinner made in 15 minutes or less! I’m also partnering with other food bloggers who are sharing their own quick recipe.
Today we are all sharing recipes that are 15 minutes or less, whether it’s a smoothie, holiday dessert, or a quick snack. Having a bunch of recipes that only takes a few minutes in your recipe tool box is good thing! Need more quick 15 minute recipe ideas? Check out these other great #15MinuteSuppers!
- Layered Strawberry Banana Smoothies from Around My Family Table
- Easy Healthy Mac ‘n Cheese from Food 4 Little Ones
- Leprechaun Bark from Better in Bulk
- Gyro Pizza from Just 2 Sisters
- Easy Breakfast Roll-Ups from Home Cooking Memories
- Homemade Hummus and Pita Chips from Jen’s Journey
Head over to our #15MinuteSuppers Pinterest Board to see all the past recipes and more delicious goodness!