This Easy Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe is simple to make and enough to feed a large family or a small gathering. Everyone always loves the cheesy, chicken cracker topping.
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Dollar General.
With the holidays just around the corner, my thoughts have been turning to the dishes I’m going to make this year. Many of the dishes I make for the holidays are our old standby’s — like the stuffing my mom always made — but every year I try new dishes that I think my family will love. Sometimes they’re keepers…and sadly, sometimes they’re not.
One that has stuck around for my family is Easy Broccoli Rice Casserole. It’s a comforting, filling side dish that everyone loves. My recipe makes a large 13×9″ casserole dish, so it’s perfect for feeding lots of guests. And since it is easy, I’m happy to make it several times during the holidays so that my husband or the oldest kids to take it to their potlucks at work.
This time around, I decided to take on a challenge to see if I could make my Easy Broccoli Rice Casserole with items purchased at Dollar General. I know that Dollar General is a convenient store for many neighborhoods across the country, so shopping for a holiday dish at Dollar General would no doubt be helpful during the hectic holidays — and not to mention, a great way to save money.
My challenge was a success — most of the items I used in my recipe were Clover Valley products (their store brand), and I was pleased to find that Dollar General had prices better than many big grocery stores.
To make my Easy Broccoli Rice Casserole, you will need the following items: white rice, frozen broccoli florets, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, chicken crackers, onion, pepper, and butter.
The white rice is cooked according to package instructions. I generally make a fresh batch of rice, but if you have leftover rice, or want to make the rice the day before, you can also do that.
In a bowl, you’ll mix up all of the ingredients, except for the chicken cracker crumbs and 2 tablespoons of butter. All of this is spooned into a 13×9″ casserole dish.
The casserole is topped with more cheese, followed by the chicken cracker crumbs. Finally, the entire top is drizzled with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
Everything goes into the oven and is baked for about 30-40 minutes or until everything is hot and the top is golden brown. It’s so good and as much as I love cheese-topped casseroles, I think this having a cracker topping is the best.
Easy Broccoli Rice Casserole Recipe
Here’s the complete recipe, all ready for you to save or print. If you are on Pinterest, be sure to save it to one of your recipe boards.
- 1½ cups uncooked white rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup (10.5 ounces)
- 1 container sour cream (16 ounces)
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded & divided
- 1 cup crushed chicken flavored crackers
- Grease a 13x9" baking dish. Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- While rice is cooking, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; add onion to butter and cook until tender.
- In a large bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and pepper. Stir in onions and broccoli. Mix in cooked rice, adding it in several batches. When everything is combined, stir in 8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese (about 2 cups).
- Spoon evenly into greased baking dish. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and sprinkle evenly with crushed crackers. Drizzle top of crackers with melted butter.
- Bake a 350 degree F oven for 30-40 minutes or until casserole is hot and top is golden brown.
Option: Add cooked chicken to make this a main dish entree.
Want even more easy meal ideas? Visit Dollar General Easy Meals for more recipes and ideas to save you time and money. You can also connect with them on your favorite social media channels: Dollar General on Facebook | Dollar General on Pinterest |Dollar General on Instagram