Caprese Tortilla Pizzas are an easy dinner idea that I’m sharing as part of a sponsored post for Socialstars.
I bought a basil plant that is growing like crazy, so I decided it was time to make a dinner with it. An easy dinner idea, of course: Caprese Tortilla Pizzas — inspired by the popular Caprese Salad.
I still needed tomatoes and a few other ingredients, so I headed to my local Walmart. In the Walmart produce department, I was able to pick up some beautiful tomatoes — not too soft, not too firm — just right, with great color.
Since I’m pretty picky when I select produce, I knew they would be great, but it is reassuring that there is a 100% money back guarantee on them. If I’m not happy, I can bring it back with my receipt and get a full refund. And you better believe I would take advantage of that if I had to –these will be the star of the Caprese Tortilla Pizzas, so having perfect, delicious tomatoes is very important to me.
This recipe is very easy and there is hardly no prep work. One thing you will have to do is to thinly slice your tomatoes. One of these tomatoes-on-the-vine from Walmart was the perfect amount needed for one large tortilla pizza.
One of the things I particularly love about these Caprese Tortilla Pizzas is that they don’t use tomato-based pizza sauce, but rather a ricotta cheese. When you assemble your tortilla pizza, you’ll first brush the tortilla with some olive oil and then spread ricotta cheese cheese on it. YUM! Then it’s topped with mozzarella cheese — you can use fresh (which is more authentic to Caprese Salad, which this is inspired from) or you can go with shredded mozzarella cheese like I did. Lay the tomato slices on top of the cheese and then season with some salt and pepper, if desired.
After baking in the oven for a short while, you get to top it with the fresh basil leaves. I used smaller basil leaves, but you can use larger ones if that’s what you have. You could also julienne the basil, if you wish (but I prefer the look of whole leaves).
With a pizza cutter, cut into slices. As for serving size – we serve one tortilla pizza for one person. If I have this for lunch, with a salad, I might split it with David, but usually one of these is an entire dinner for each of us.
Easy Dinner Idea: Caprese Tortilla Pizzas
- Serving size: 2-3
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 6-8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil leaves
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Lay tortillas on baking sheet. Brush top of each tortilla with olive oil. Spread ¼ cup ricotta on top of each tortilla, leaving about ½" empty on the edge of the tortilla. Divide and sprinkle mozzarella cheese between the two tortillas. Lay tomato slices on top of the cheese on each tortilla.
- Bake in oven 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted and started to bubble and the edge of the tortilla has browned. Remove from oven and top with basil leaves. Cool slightly and then cut with a pizza cutter and serve.