If you’d like to make an easy recipe for dessert, but yet something different than your usual boxed cake with frosting, look no further. This Blueberry Crunch Cake is an easy cake called a “dump cake“. Why? Because you literally dump all the ingredients together.
When Justin Timberlake’s CD came out this month, I decided to have fun and make a full night of it. Since JT is from Memphis, Tennessee, I planned a homemade macaroni and cheese — a favorite side dish at most BBQ joints in the south — and a dessert.
I considered making a Banana Pudding since it’s a favorite easy dessert in the south, but after a bit of searching, I found my answer: Blueberry Crunch Cake. I found it on the Good Morning America’s website and it was said to be Justin Timberlake’s grandmother’s recipe. Figuring that she must have made this for him a few times, I decided that it had to be made to complete our fun night.
Now, if you are familiar with dump cakes, then you know that they are an easy recipe — you just dump, or layer, the ingredients together. It’s such an easy dessert, and yeah, while it’s full of sugar and not very healthy, it’s so, so good.
To start, you dump a can of crushed pineapple in the bottom of your baking dish. Blueberries, mixed with some sugar, are then sprinkled on top of the pineapple.
The dry yellow cake mix is sprinkled on top of the blueberries. A stick of melted butter is drizzled over the top and then a sprinkle with chopped pecans. It’s baked in the oven where it works it’s magic!
After it’s done baking and cooled, you spoon this cake into bowls or onto plates. You can eat it just like that, or top with whipped cream or even some vanilla ice cream. I went with the whipped cream and I may, or may not have, had slightly more whipped cream that this photo shows.
Here’s the recipe — all ready for your to print or for you to save to your ZipList recipe box for safe keeping:
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 11 ounces blueberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 can crushed pineapple, undrained (20 ounce)
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 stick butter, melted (1/2 cup)
- Optional: whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9" baking dish. In a bowl, combine blueberries with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle with sugar and gently coat blueberries with the sugar.
- Pour pineapple into the bottom of the baking dish evenly. Sprinkle blueberries and sugar evenly over pineapple. Sprinkle dry yellow cake mix evenly on top of blueberries. Drizzle melted stick of butter on top of cake mix. Sprinkle pecans on top of cake mix/butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until top is browned.
Adapted from Justin Timberlake’s Blueberry Crunch Cake