If you are looking for St. Patrick’s Day party food, or if you just love reuben sandwiches, here’s an easy idea for you: Reuben Tortilla Pinwheels Recipe!
You may be familiar with Sara Moulton from Food Network and other television appearance, as well as her cookbooks. I’ve been watching her for years, so I was quite excited to learn about her newest cookbook, “Everyday Family Dinners“. It’s a cookbook meant for a home cook like me and you — people who want great family-friendly meals.
My Reuben Pinwheels recipe inspired by one of Sara Moulton’s recipes. When I was cruising around Sara’s website, I came across her Reuben Pizza. A lightbulb went off and I thought how great pinwheels would be with similar flavors of a Reuben Sandwich.
While I worked on this recipe, my oldest son came into the kitchen. I’m not really paying attention to what he’s doing, but the next thing I know he’s spitting out whatever was in his mouth into his hand and asking ” WHAT IS THAT????”. See, apparently my son thought the well-drained sauerkraut was the same as the bowl of shredded Swiss cheese I had on the counter. He grabbed a BIG pinch of sauerkraut and popped it in his mouth expecting cheesy goodness. I laughed so hard. I wonder if that will keep him from grabbing the cheese that I’m grating? Eh, probably not.
As with all of the pinwheels I make, there is usually some sort of spread that is applied to the tortilla or wrap. For Reuben Tortilla Pinwheels, I missed up a mixture of cream cheese, Russian dressing, and sauerkraut.
This mixture is spread onto a tortilla, then it’s topped with shredded swiss cheese (you could use sliced swiss, if you prefer) and then thinly sliced corned beef. This is all rolled up and the process is repeated with the remaining ingredients. All of the rolled up tortillas are placed in the refrigerator for chilling for about 1 hour (they can chill longer if you wish to make them ahead of time for a party).
They are then removed from the refrigerator and sliced into rounds and served!
Here’s the complete recipe, ready for your to print or save to your ZipList:
Reuben Tortilla Pinwheels
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup Russian Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut rinsed and well drained
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese shredded
- 12 ounces corned beef deli meat thinly sliced
- 8 flour tortillas 9 diameter
Mix together cream cheese and Russian dressing until smooth and creamy. Mix in sauerkraut. Spread one side of a tortilla with cream cheese mixture, almost all the way to the edges. Sprinkle with about 1 oz of cheese. Lay a few slices of corned beef on top of cheese. Roll up tortilla tightly. Repeat with remaining ingredients, laying rolled tortillas on a plate. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Remove from refrigerator and slice into rounds and serve.
The rest of the #SundaySupper bloggers are also sharing recipes inspired by Sara Moulton, so be sure to check them out!
Breakfast for Dinner:
- Open-faced Zucchini Omelet with Red Bell Pepper and Feta by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Polenta Lasagne by Blueberries and Blessings
- Spicy Korean Cheesesteak by Kimchi MOM
- Chorizo Mushroom Bites by La Cocina de Leslie
- Roasted Ratatouille Crêpes with Goat Cheese by Healthy.Delicious.
- Grilled Chicken and Veggie Pizza by Runner’s Tales
- Clay Pot Vegetable Stew by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Reuben Pizza by Juanita’s Cocina
- Vegetarian Greek Stuffed Zucchini by The Messy Baker Blog
- Manchego, Fig and Bacon Flatbreads by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Kimchi Fried Rice by girlichef
- Gluten Free Mozzarella Pesto Pizza by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Peppery Broccoli with Feta Cheese and Angel Hair Pasta by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chicken Artichoke Piccata by Sustainable Dad
- Reuben Tortilla Pinwheels by Home Cooking Memories
- Deli Style Turkey Reuben Pizza by In The Kitchen with KP
- Grilled Mahi Mahi with Garlic Caper Sauce by Family Foodie
Spectacular Sides and Salads:
- Curried Peas and Black Beans by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Feta, Chickpeas, and Pita Croutons by Supper for a Steal
- A Summer Salad from Paris by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Caprese Salad with Avocado by Ruffles & Truffles
Don’t Skip Desserts and Drinks:
- Three-Ingredient Pluot Crisp by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Strawberry Dessert by Growing Up Gabel
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut-Butter No Bake Cookies by Killer Bunnies
- Warm Chocolate Cheesecake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Turkish Pistachio and Apricot Bread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sparkling Watermelon Lemonade by The Urban Mrs.
- Blueberry Crepes by Basic N Delicious
- Nectarine Upside-Down Cake by Magnolia Days
- Cannoli Strawberries by Foxes Love Lemons
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Watermelon Basil Lemonade by Curious Cuisiniere