As usual, I had bigger holiday plans than what I actually had time for.
I had a long list of goodies that I wanted to make for Christmas, but time ran short. One of the things I wanted to make the most was Spiced Nuts. I’ve tried making Spiced Nuts before (with a different recipe than what I am sharing today) and I wasn’t really happy with the results. But this year, I was determined to do it right. I had several pound of almonds ready to go, and but even though they are so simple to make, I just couldn’t squeeze them into my holiday prep.
Luckily, Spiced Nuts are perfect for the next big holiday: New Years…or more specifically, New Years Eve.
We are planning a fun New Years Eve party for our family, complete with a dinner of appetizers and snacks only. One of the snacks we’ll be enjoying are these Spiced Nuts, which are one of the many kicked-up recipes in the cookbook, “Emeril’s Potluck” by Emeril LaGasse.
I love this cookbook because the recipes are perfect for all sorts of memory making celebrations and parties. It’s a great one to have in your cookbook collection and I’m happy to be able to give all of you the opportunity to win a copy of Emeril’s Potluck: Comfort Food with a Kicked-Up Attitude. This has been made possible because the theme of #SundaySupper this week is New Year’s Potluck with Emeril. Several other bloggers will also be giving away a copy, plus some will be giving away one of Emeril’s other coobooks, Emeril’s Kicked-Up Sandwiches: Stacked with Flavor — so that means you have multiple chances to win! Just check the end of this post for details.
Here’s the recipe for making Emeril’s Spiced Nuts. One of the things I like best about it is that it’s all done on the stove-top, which I find gives me great control than recipes that require baking in the oven. They are full of spicy-sweet flavor and extremely addictive! Perfect for setting out during your parties or celebrations, but also great packaged up for a tasty homemade food gift.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups unsalted mixed nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, and almonds
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix spices and reserve.
- Heat the nuts in a dry skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to toast, about 4 minutes. Add the butter and cook, stirring, until the nuts begin to darken, about 1 minute. Add the spices, the sugar, 1 tablespoon water, and the salt and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens and the nuts are glazed, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the nuts from the heat and transfer to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, separating them with a fork. Let the nuts stand until cooled and the sugar has hardened, about 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container.
- Makes 4 cups
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, Emeril's Potluck, William Morrow Publishers, New York, 2004
Who’s ready to enter the giveaway? To be entered, use the Rafflecopter below. You must leave a comment on this post (plus please leave your twitter handle) AND you must participate in the #SundaySupper twitter chat by following the #SundaySupper hashtag or you can follow us through TweetChat.
Want more kicked-up Emeril recipes? Well, look no further! Check out this awesome list of Emeril recipes, all ready to add deliciousness to your New Year!
25 Bloggers will be giving away 25 copies of Emeril’s Cookbooks!* You don’t want to miss this special Celebration!
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Drinks:
- Champagne Punch by girlichef**
- Champagne Punch by Daily Dish Recipes**
- Champagne Punch by Midlife Roadtrip**
- Champagne Punch by Family Foodie**
- Chi Chi Cocktails by The Messy Baker Blog
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Starters:
- Spiced Nuts by The Cookie A Day Challenge**
- Spiced Nuts by Small Wallet Big Appetite**
- Prosciutto Breadsticks & Spiced Nuts by Galactosemia in PDX**
- Spiced Nuts by Home Cooking Memories**
- Spiced Nuts by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Sopressata and Genoa Salami Calzones by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen**
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Cupcakes & Kale Chips**
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Supper for a Steal**
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings**
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by The Meltaways**
- Emeril’s Columbia Street Grinder Kicked Up a Notch New Orleans Style by The Catholic Foodie**
- Columbia Street Grinder by The Weekend Gourmet**
- Three-Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Diabetic Foodie**
- Eggplant Muffuletta by Mom’s Test Kitchen**
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by In the Kitchen with Audrey**
- Columbia Street Grinder by She likes ruffles, he likes truffles **
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by From Fast Food to Fresh Food**
- Columbia Street Grinder by Momma’s Meals **
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Craving’s of a Lunatic**
- A Vegetarian Take on Emeril’s Kicked Up Sandwiches Tonkatsu Sandwich by Ninja Baking
- New Orleans Style Garlic BBQ Shrimp by Comfy Cuisine
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce by Magnolia Days**
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with 2 Sauces by Juanita’s Cocina**
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping and Brown Sugar Glaze by Damn Delicious
* The bloggers with astericks ** after their listing are giving away a copy of one of either the Emeril’s Potluck: Comfort Food with a Kicked-Up Attitude or Emeril’s Kicked-Up Sandwiches: Stacked with Flavor during the Chat. Details on individual blogs, on Sunday.
Please join on us on Twitter using hashtag #SundaySupper all day today, December 30, 2012 . In the evening we will meet at 7pm EST for our #SundaySupper chat where we always have a good time! We are so excited to have you join us for Emeril’s Potluck Celebration. All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag or you can follow us through TweetChat.