This Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos recipe is an easy dinner that will take 30 minutes or less to make. The seasoned tilapia fillets are baked in the oven until flaky, then filled into soft tortillas with your favorite toppings. One of our family favorites!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read our full disclosure policy.
Whether you want easy recipes because life is busy or maybe because you don’t enjoy cooking, I get you. The great news is that serving easy dinners doesn’t mean that the meal is lacking anything – in fact, it might just be one of the favorite meals in your house. And this is one example in our house: Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos.
We are huge fans of beef tacos, like our tacos made from the shredded meat of our Instant Pot Mexican Pot Roast recipe and our family favorite Beef & Potato Tacos, but these easy fish tacos are another solid favorite.
Pre-2009, I never made any fish in our house other than fish sticks and even those weren’t very often. David always said he didn’t like fish, so I never made it. But, around 2009, we started incorporating healthier meals into our weekly menus.
Tilapia was the first type of fish I started serving for our dinners. It’s a great, mild flavored starter fish for anyone who’s not used to cooking or eating fish. Most of the time I would coat the tilapia with breading (like panko), but Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos involves no breading or batter.
This Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos recipe is super simple and can be made in 30 minutes or less. You can use fresh or frozen tilapia fillets, but I almost always use frozen.
I place thawed fillets on a greased baking sheet. The top of each fillet is brushed with a bit of olive oil (I *love* using my OXO Basting Brush for this). Then, each one is sprinkled lightly with a seasoning blend. You can either mix up your own seasoning or you could use a favorite seasoning blend that you have on hand. We usually use one of the seasonings that we have in our cupboard.
Some favorites seasoning blends for our Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos are:
- One & Done Seasoning
- McCormick Grill Mates Steakhouse Onion Burger with Garlic
- McCormick Grill Mates Seasoning Montreal Chicken Seasoning
Before popping them into the oven, you’ll squeeze a bit of fresh lime juice on top too.
The fillets are baked in the oven until flaky. While they are baking, I prepare all the toppings: shredded cabbage (we use a bag of coleslaw mix to make it easy), sour cream, avocado, and salsa. I also heat the tortillas. You can use corn or flour tortillas, whichever you prefer.
One of my favorite toppings for our Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos is a homemade Pineapple Mango Fruit Salsa. I don’t make it every time we have these, but I do try to because it’s so delicious paired with the fish.
Each person assembles their own Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos. One fillet is generally enough for about 2 tacos, but that really depends on the fillet size and the tortilla size. Each person breaks up the fish on their tortillas. Then, they are topped with whatever topping each person wants to use. We usually serve with black beans or refried beans with our tacos, and sometimes rice, fruit, or even tortilla chips with guacamole.
Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos RecipePrint
Want more quick and easy dinner ideas? Check these out:
- Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Korean omelet rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Croque Monsieurs by Tastes Better From Scratch
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Pasta with creamy kale pesto by Webicurean
- Oven-Baked Spanish Tortilla by From A Chef’s Kitchen
- Garlicky Pasta with Swiss Chard and Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle