Easy Frito Bowls with Meat Sauce is an easy dinner that’s great for family dinners or when you have a crowd to feed. With only a few ingredients, plus your favorite toppings to choose from, it’s a crowd pleaser.
Frito Bowls with Meat Sauce is a meal I have made a lot over the years. It can be made in no time, it’s cheap to make, and it’s always a crowd pleaser.
This recipe is extremely versatile. We have the recipe that we usually use at the bottom of this post, but some of the changes you can make are:
- Less or more ground beef
- Add a can of black beans or pinto beans
- Go meatless and use only beans and/or vegetables, like onions, peppers, squash, corn, etc.
- Add drained diced tomatoes with the tomato puree if you like things a bit more chunky.
We do recommend using a good quality tomato puree that says “not from concentrate”. Recently we’ve been really enjoying Cento Tomato Puree, which you can buy in grocery stores in the canned tomato aisle or online.
For the salsa, use a salsa that you enjoy, with plenty of flavor. We recommend using a chunky salsa.
Frito Bowls with Meat Sauce also double or triple easily if you have a crowd to feed, which makes it even better for game day and tailgating.
Here’s how easy it is: in a pot, cook up 1 pound of ground beef or turkey with chopped onion. A can of tomato puree, a jar of salsa, and some chili powder are mixed in. All of this is heated up and simmered a bit. Each person puts a big handful of corn chips into their own bowl and spoons the meat mixture over them.
The best part of all is the toppings. I like to have lots of options like shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, avocados, and sour cream. Each person adds the toppings they like, so in our house, everyone’s bowl of Frito Bowl looks different.
Here’s the recipe for you to print — if you like this recipe, be sure to pin it on Pinterest or share on Facebook!Print
My fellow #SundaySupper food blogger friends all have some awesome tailgating and game day recipes for you — check them out:
Warm Ups (Appetizers):
- Bacon and Onion Dip by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Fajita Dip and Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Crab Rangoons by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Double Cheese Dill Scones by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Fried Yucca With Pink Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Grilled Corn Dip by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Grilled Gameday Nachos by Supper for a Steal
- Homemade Potato Chips w/ Blue Cheese Sauce by girlichef
- Liptauer Cheese Spread by Magnolia Days
- Mahogany Baked Chicken Wings by The Dinner-Mom
- Mexican Corn Dip by Growing Up Gabel
- Pizza Dip by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Posh Pigs In a Blanket by The Weekend Gourmet
- Pretzel Nuggets by I Run For Wine
- Roasted Garlic & Tomatillo Salsa Verde by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Savory Baked Pinwheel’s by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Sesame Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Stuffed Banana Pepper Bites by Daily Dish Recipes
- Sweet Potato Hummus by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- VJ Catch-erole by My Other City By The Bay
Game Time (Main Dishes and Sides):
- 1,2,3,4,5 Chinese Spareribs by The Urban Mrs
- Bacon Burger Sliders by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Beef on Weck by Healthy. Delicious.
- Carrot Slaw by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheerwine BBQ Pulled Pork by Nik Snacks
- Chicken, Bacon, Ranch Quesadillas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chicken, Brie and Apple Turnovers by Shockingly Delicious
- Easy Grilled Chicken Caesar Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- French Onion Chicken Sandwiches by Foxes Love Lemons
- Frito Olé by Home Cooking Memories
- Gomoku Treasure Rice by NinjaBaking.com
- Grilled Fajita Kebabs by CuriousCuisiniere
- Hatch Chile Pimento Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Italian Tuna and Shells Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pressed Brick Sandwich by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pulled Lamb Barbecue Sandwiches by The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup by Neighborfood
- Smoky Turkey Burgers by Webicurean
- Snorker and Spicy Slaw Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
- Tandoori BBQ Chicken by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Tortilla Hot Dogs by La Cocina de Leslie
Overtime (Drinks and Desserts):
- Coconut Funfetti Ice Cream Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Individual Elvis Pies by Treats & Trinkets
- Portuguese Sangria by Family Foodie