I have already made a batch for Christmas, but it went so fast, that I’ve decided to make a second batch so we can have some during our New Years festivities too. The plan was to hit Walmart’s Bake Center display one last time before it was gone, but when we arrived, it has already been converted to other foods. No worries, I headed to the baking aisle and other areas of Walmart and grabbed what I needed. You can see all of my photos here: Graham Cracker Toffee Shopping
Here’s how simple it is to make Graham Cracker Toffee:
Grab a baking sheet and line it with foil. Grease the foil — I sprayed mine with cooking spray. Lay the graham crackers, side by side, in a single layer on the pan, covering as much of the pan as possible. For my pan, I used 14 graham crackers, but you may need more or less. If necessary, you can break graham crackers to get them to fit, but I don’t worry if you don’t have every single spot covered…the edges of my pan didn’t have any graham cracker on them.
Place 2 cubes of butter (1 cup), 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a heavy-bottomed pot. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to mix it all up and bring it to a boil.
Boil the butter/sugar mixture for 3 minutes. In the end, you will have this goodness…
While still very hot, carefully drizzle/pour the mixture over your graham crackers and spread it as evenly as possible over the tops. Make sure that every bit of graham cracker has this mixture spread on top of it.
Next, you’ll place it in the oven where the mixture will bake right into the graham crackers. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. Keep a watch because this will burn easily if you leave it in too long.
Immediately after removing your baking sheet from the oven, sprinkle your chocolate chips on top of the hot graham crackers. Let the chocolate chips sit (undisturbed) for about 3-5 minutes. The heat from the mixture and graham crackers will allow the chocolate chips to melt.
Then, spread the melted chocolate chips on top of the graham crackers….
Until the whole thing is covered with a nice layer of chocolate!
Sprinkle with nuts before the chocolate sets and allow it to cool completely.
When completely cool, break into pieces…I like to make them irregular and random. The result is a candy that is just as good as any candy bar you might buy at the store. It makes a great gift too – put some in a bag and tie it with ribbon!
Here is the complete recipe:Print
Graham Cracker Toffee
One of my family’s favorite holiday treats is Graham Cracker Toffee. I’m always happy to make it each year…especially considering how very simple it is
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Graham crackers (depends on size of baking sheet, I used 14)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup nuts (I use walnuts or almonds usually, sliced or chopped)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Lay graham crackers in a single layer on baking sheet.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, place butter and brown sugar. Heat over medium-high heat, stir frequently while ingredients melt together. Heat to boiling and boil for 3 minutes while stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Carefully pour all of the hot butter/sugar mixture over graham crackers. Spread mixture evenly on top of the graham crackers until all areas of graham cracker have been covered by the mixture. Place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Allow chocolate chips to sit on top of the hot graham crackers for about 3-5 minutes so that they can melt. Spread the melted chocolate chips evenly on top of the graham crackers. Sprinkle with nuts before chocolate sets.
- When completely cooled, break into irregular pieces. Place on plate for serving.
Keywords: 5 ingredients,
Note: This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. All opinions, as always, are 100% my own.